Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What I consider a sane idea to reduce police brutality......

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    Yes, this was what prompted my comment about interspersing active time as a LEO with more passive activities. I don't think it's financially feasible to shorten the work span, at least not within our current financial system, but it might be possible to shorten the amount of time people spend 'in the trenches'.
    I like your idea, kib, and this does seem more economically feasible, yes. As I said in my OP, I'm open to my general idea being tweaked. Whatever might yield results......Rob

I have been involved in LEO training, off-and-on, for over 30 years now.

My purely anecdotal impression is that this career is not suitable for everyone. Lots of good folks enter the profession, and are nice and friendly and community-spirited. It seems there is this point, about 5-7 years into their career, when that changes for some street officers, and they become jaded, cynical, suspicious, and have cultivated an us-vs-them attitude, and a tribal bond with their fellow officers. I think I have some ideas about why this happens. Doesn't happen to all of them.

My other purely anecdotal tidbit is that many of the departments I have worked with had very little in the way of stress management programs in place. And a culture of heroism where it is "weak" or "unmanly" to reach out for help.

I am so glad that my fire/ems agency is very progressive on matters of stress management, addiction recovery/prevention, and other counseling support. And is very good about cultivating a culture in which it is OK, even expected, to ask for help, and not to be judged poorly for doing so.

I suspect LEOs would do well to rotate through various positions in their departments to help prevent burnout, family troubles, addiction troubles, suicide, abuse of power, and all sorts of things. And their departments need to examine their culture pretty closely.

Now, like the fire service, law enforcement is very tradition-bound and organizational change is tricky business.

Thread Information