Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2020?

Have been re-reading Shakespeare's classics recently. Just read Macbeth, now starting with Hamlet.

Quote Originally Posted by zoey View Post
    Have been re-reading Shakespeare's classics recently. Just read Macbeth, now starting with Hamlet.
    Nice! I read Hamlet in HS and hated it, read it again in college and liked it, read it a third time after college for fun and loved it!

Now reading, "How to be an Antiracist," by Ibram X. Kendi.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Pull of the Stars by Emma Donaghue. Yet another pandemic story about the 1918 influenza but this one really sets a tone.

Is Rape A Crime? by a survivor. It covers her personal experience and the poor law enforcement response to rape in this country. One example - if a rape victim becomes pregnant her assailant often has parental rights, which in a plea bargain are ceded in exchange for all charges against him being dropped. For the people who say we can't defund the police because who will protect us from rapists, read this book.

Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons, a novel with a great twist on the last page relating to a current topic in this country. I will not ruin the surprise for you.

The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough. He’s my favorite historian.

Nswef: I think you would like that book I recently recommended, "The Keeper of Lost Things," based on some of the other books you've said that you enjoyed.

Thanks Rosa for the suggestion. I'll write it down. I just finished Overground Railroad and was disturbed throughout at what is shows about the Jim Crow era and travel if you were black. Again, resilience. All I've been reading lately I am seeing that theme. I also finished The Summer of The Swans by Betsy Byars a Newberry winner that I read to my 4th grade classes several times. A brain damaged brother gets lost and the middle school/teen age sister finds a bit of herself in the search. I like children's books because they generally are hopeful even as they tackle tough topics. Right now I am reading Begin Again by Eddie S. Glaude Jr. A tough read so far about James Baldwin's America and it Urgent Lessons for Our Own. It's well written for me, flows well in spite of the difficult topic. Easier than The New Jim Crow, but I have just started it.

Just about mid-way through "Bear Town" by Frederik Backman and really like his style of writing. I see that he has a new (in English) book out - Anxious People .
    I will probably read that next.

I head that Tom Hanks was going to play "Ova" from his previous novel, A Man Called Ova. Has anyone heard how that is going? Tom Hanks could play that part very well!

I finally finished "Sophie's Choice." I can't believe how long it took me, but thanks for the encouragement Jeppy, it was definitely worthwhile.

Thread Information