Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2020?

Yppej
    Excellent Sheep about elite universities
    One Drop by his daughter about a man passing for white
    Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry
    Just started The Book of V in which apparently the V stands for Vashti, a Biblical character I always liked

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Just read St Francis Society for Wayward Pets by Anne England Roblin. It is an easy read. I needed a lighter book for a break from the usual stuff that I am working on. Thanks, RoasR.
    Oh good, glad you enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    After Anna by Lisa Scottoline - a mild thriller, enjoyable and relatively fast-paced.
    The Wife Stalker by Liv Constantine - also a mild thriller and also enjoyable. There was a slight hiccup until I understood a few things then it was quite good.
    Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman - the reviews said this was "incredibly funny" and while there are some amusing moments (mainly when the main character talks to herself about other people), this is a book about child abuse and PTSD. I found it deeply disturbing and somewhat triggering. Also, very unrealistic on the treatment and outcome of PTSD from child abuse. Didn't read all of it and wish I'd never picked it up.
    The Happiness Equation by Neil Pasricha - interesting concepts and ideas. Haven't finished this one yet.
    Geila, I would probably like the mild thrillers. Eleanor O was on my list, but I think I'll take her off!

Yppej
    I liked Eleanor O for what it's worth.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Geila, I would probably like the mild thrillers. Eleanor O was on my list, but I think I'll take her off!
    Rosa - you should give Eleanor a try, maybe you'll like it. I was expecting something very different. If you check out some of the Amazon reviews you'll get a better idea of what's in store. I should've done that.

Yppeg - I liked the character of Eleanor, I didn't like a lot of the other stuff. Glad you enjoyed it though.
    Last edited by Geila; 10-8-20 at 12:34pm.

OK, Eleanor stays on the list.

I'm currently reading If it Bleeds by Stephen King. It's a collection of 4 novellas and I'm partway through the second one. Enjoying it so far. Typical SK fare.

So, I'm just dipping into Louise Gluck (can't do the umlaut), who won the Nobel Prize for Literature yesterday. Poetry is appealing to me more in my old age. Do any of you read her? If so, any books of her poetry that you would recommend?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

History of White Trash

Just finished The Giver of Stars (Jojo Moyes). It was a fun and easy read. Currently re-reading Shaker Communities, Shaker Lives (Priscilla Brewer). Also recently read The Columbus Affair (Steve Berry) - an interesting novel based on the theory that Columbus was Jewish.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    History of White Trash
    Please tell us more; the title is certainly intriguing.

Thread Information