Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    Just downloaded A Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy from our library.
    So, about half-way through I start thinking this sounds familiar. I read a paragraph that I distinctly remember reading in a book before. I tell myself that if it ends a certain way (it did), then, yes, I've read it before. I imagine it was about 35 years ago!
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Just finished "All the Light I Cannot See" Excellent book. Decided to finish "Saints - The Standard of Truth 1815-1846" An early history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The rose colored glasses taken off. Tells the good and the bad and the many hardships of the early members of the Church. Despite that, many good faith prompting stories I had never heard before. I joke with my wife, I would not have made a good pioneer. I would have been the one - "Hey, Brother Brigham - Iowa looks nice - I bet you could grow some good corn here!"

I had pioneer ancestors; one died en route. I would have waited for the railroads, personally.

I am trying to understand the term and cause of 'populism'. I have started "Tightrope" by Kristof and WuDunn and am struggling with the waste of lives lost when jobs disappeared from the US to other countries to generate greater profit for the corporate shareholders. It will be a long read.

I just finished a book by a former Governor General of Canada, David Johnston called "Trust". Johnstone believes that the greatest need now is to redevelop the trust between people, organizations, countries and governments and offers ideas on the qualities that are needed.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    …. when jobs disappeared from the US to other countries to generate greater profit for the corporate shareholders.
    That is the purpose of a corporation and the reason shareholders invest.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

razz, for your populism experiment, check out the novel All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren, which is based on Huey Long.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I agree, Alan. Who then owns the responsibility of ensuring that employment is available for a country's citizens? If a corporation removes jobs in search of profit available elsewhere, who owns the impact on local communities?

https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2...porate-purpose

"Instead of a singular duty to shareholders, this growing movement emphasizes a corporate duty to “stakeholders” – not only the well-being of a company’s employees and customers, but also those in global supply chains or any community affected by a company’s business practices.

Now, a group of nearly 200 of the nation’s top business executives, including those of Apple, JPMorgan Chase, and Walmart, has responded to these social pressures and announced a change in corporate orthodoxy, saying through the Business Roundtable last month that they were “modernizing” the principles on the role of a corporation."

https://www.csmonitor.com/World/2020...he-right-thing
    "Time for a reset?
    When the global businessman’s bible, the Financial Times, launches a campaign entitled “Capitalism: Time for a Reset” as it did last September, you know something is afoot.

In the developed countries where capitalism first flowered, but shifted away from its social obligations, its credibility today is badly tarnished. A worldwide poll earlier this year found that 56% of respondents thought the system was doing “more harm than good.”
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Exactly. That's why I prefer alternative economic systems--too much collateral damage in the interest of profit.

As far as what I'm reading these days: A friend of my son recommended Overstory by Richard Powers and it is truly beautiful.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    My library's collection of fiction hasn't inspired me. Now I am trying two nonfiction works, Going Clear about Scientology and The Murder of the Century set in New York in 1897.

Just finished Chris Durbin’s excellent “Colonial Post-Captain” series of novels about the Royal Navy during the Seven Years War. Possibly the first true world war.

I have to agree with Alan about publicly held corporations serving as social service organizations. That’s what nonprofits and government agencies are for. Why confiscate shareholders’ equity when it would be more honest to simply tax the public for public services.

Thread Information