Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2020?

I just finished Boy's Life by Robert McCammon. It is a fictional reminisce of a twelve year old boy growing up in the South in the'60's. It's mostly light story telling about bikes, dogs, hair cuts, and church, but is also a murder mystery. It has some fantasy elements. I'm not a big fan of coming of age stories, which maybe this is, but it was more just good story telling. I think it was reviewed as suitable for both young adults and mature readers. It brought back some memories of my own youth. It was really a fun read when some things seem to be so serious.

Per my buying habits, I think the hardback copy cost less than $5, plus the standard media mail shipping.

Most of my books are Amazon, but I've started to rein in my one-click trigger finger. I often get Amazon kindle books free or very cheap, though, through Kindle Unlimited.

If it's not Amazon or the library, I purchase books from my favorite publishing company, Chelsea Green. It's a Vermont employee-owned publishing house and they have the best titles. Because they are independent and awesome, I always buy directly from their website. Every summer they have a fantastic sale, with many titles 90% off.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I mostly get used books through amazon marketplace, I try to avoid amazon when I can, but I admit the marketplace is a good source of cheap used books, I usually try to find some nearby seller for them (if they are in Cali, I'll order from that marketplace seller etc.). I am blown over when I see what new books cost.
    Trees don't grow on money

Mostly Amazon for cheap eBooks, but also my wonderful public library, and Amazon's used books for titles I want but can't find anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I just finished Boy's Life by Robert McCammon. It is a fictional reminisce of a twelve year old boy growing up in the South in the'60's. It's mostly light story telling about bikes, dogs, hair cuts, and church, but is also a murder mystery. It has some fantasy elements. I'm not a big fan of coming of age stories, which maybe this is, but it was more just good story telling. I think it was reviewed as suitable for both young adults and mature readers. It brought back some memories of my own youth. It was really a fun read when some things seem to be so serious.

Per my buying habits, I think the hardback copy cost less than $5, plus the standard media mail shipping.
    Rogar: I really liked that book, but I do like that genre. Summer of Night by Dan Simmons is a similar type of book , and funny enough, he is also a fantasy/horror writer.

I get my books mostly at thrift shops and in the before times, I got a lot from my library's vast room full of sale books for $1.00 or less. If I'm looking for a specific title, I tend to use the library or eBay. A recent development with eBay is you have to make sure you are ordering an actual book and not a downloadable PDF. I did once order a PDF in error, and the seller readily refunded my money when I said I wanted and thought I was buying a physical book. Ebay is quite cheap for books that aren't new releases. If you are reluctantly buying used books on Amazon, I strongly recommend giving eBay a try.

Spoon Fed by Tim Spector, it's life changing. If you're interested in food and diet it's a really good read!

Yppej
    Love After Love fiction set in Trinidad and NYC
    The Dead Are Arising a biography of Malcolm X
    That Old Cape Magic a novel by Richard Russo
    Comrade Koba fiction set in the Soviet Union

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I think I remember someone here reading Educated? I just saw a friend post about it on FB, and it looks good--along the lines of Hillbilly Elegy, which I loved.

Anyone read it? If so, would you recommend?
    Finally got around to "reading" it on Audible on a long car ride--a few actually--I love it. I really connected with it in a weird way.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I was very surprised when my son asked for some books for Christmas. He has never been known to be a book reader although I know he reads a lot off the internet. He asked for copies of the books that I used to have him read out loud with a straight face while on car trips. It made me smile that he remembered those and wanted to revisit them. So I bought him The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson and The Best of Me by David Sedaris. Of course I'm having a quick reread before I wrap them. I am always looking for interesting books on finance for young adults and just got him Zombie Economics by Lisa Desjardins and it has some great information in it.

Thread Information