Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2020?

What are you reading 2020?

I just finished "A Simple Plan" by Scott Smith. It's not a new book (1993) and it was made into a movie, so folks may already be familiar with it. I cannot recommend it highly enough, so hard to put down, what will happen next, the choices, the implications - I was actually a bit stressed out reading it, but in a good way, because it certainly wasn't my life! For a plot synopsis, I'll just say it starts out with some guys finding a small crashed plane with a large quantity of money in it . . .
    Earlier this year I read "The Ruins" by the same author. I thought it was great in a nihilistic, bleak, and horrific way. It was a horror novel so it did it's job and did it well. I find it interesting that he has not published any other novels, because he is so talented.

Yppej
    You Are Here by Thich Nhat Hanh

QUOTE=Yppej;341188]You Are Here by Thich Nhat Hanh[/QUOTE] Great read. Read it long ago-maybe should dig it out of the bookcase?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I loved "How to Walk" by him.

Suggestible You, the curious science of your brain's ability to deceive, transform, and heal by Erik Vance.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Suggestible You, the curious science of your brain's ability to deceive, transform, and heal by Erik Vance.
    That sounds right up my alley. I'll have to check it out.

I've read over a dozen books by Thich Nhat Hanh and I've been a huge fan for years. I went to see him twice in person: out in Southampton, LI, and at the Beacon Theater in Manhattan. And I have on my to-do list to listen to this audio: https://tnhaudio.org/2019/12/31/sitt...-lotus-flower/

If you want to read about mindful living in very simple prose, read The Miracle of Mindfulness. Yppej, You are Here is also very good.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    He was interviewed by Krista Tippet on her program, On Being. Sept. 19. It’s still available to stream. I enjoyed the program so much I listened to it twice.

I just finished The Institute, a newer Stephen King novel. It was devoid of most of his his trademark horror and gore and a cut above some of his recents. The story style sort of reminded me of The Green Mile, but maybe not quite up it's quality. Still, very good and his usual page turner.

Roger: I read and enjoyed The Institute too. You might also like Imaginary Friend by Stephen Chbosky. It had some similar elements that were appealing in the King book. My one criticism is that it went on longer than necessary. I think it could have been pruned by a couple of hundred pages.
    Gardnr: I just started This is How it Always Is and I love it already! Thanks for the recommendation.

Yppej
    Born To Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen about the Tarahumara of Mexico

Thread Information