Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2020?

I do see, when browsing BookBub offerings, a lot of variations of the same plot "When her sister was arrested for a murder she didn't commit..." and I mostly avoid those. Also, I don't waste time with books that bore me; don't have time for that.

Iíve been finding a lot of free kindle books lately. So itís easier to give up halfway through if it doesnít interest me. I have nothing invested.

But maybe free is the reason Iím less interested. Maybe we get what we pay for. Ha

Fiinished Kinfolk by Pearl S Buck last night. There is a reason some books are "classics". This was very good.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Iíve been finding a lot of free kindle books lately. So itís easier to give up halfway through if it doesnít interest me. I have nothing invested.

But maybe free is the reason Iím less interested. Maybe we get what we pay for. Ha
    Good points! I also use free kindle books, mainly for fiction, for the reason you mention. It's harder to determine whether or not you're going to like a fiction v nonfiction book.

As for me, I'm doing nonfiction at the moment: the new book 2030: How Today's Biggest Trends Will Shape the Future of Everything . Provocative read. I just started it, so I'll weigh in later.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I’ve been finding a lot of free kindle books lately. So it’s easier to give up halfway through if it doesn’t interest me. I have nothing invested.

But maybe free is the reason I’m less interested. Maybe we get what we pay for. Ha
    All amateur writers would benefit from an editor, as do the pros. Thing is, the amateurs think they don’t need direction. Or they get copy editors only.

Jonathan Kellerman's Compulsion, on audio. Such a nice change of pace from depressing political tomes.
    I guess it qualifies as a police procedural. Love the relationship between Milo and Alex; this is number 22 or so of a series.

Paths of Glory by Jeffery Archer based on the true story of the extreme efforts and challenges in climbing Mt Everest in the 1920"s. AND then a comparison to modern efforts and resources in mountain climbing in Sharon Wood's new book is Rising: Becoming the First North American Woman on Everest in 1986. Great to read them together.
    ďThe medium is the message. This is merely to say that the personal and social consequences of any medium Ė that is, of any extension of ourselves Ė result from the new scale that is introduced into our affairs by each extension of ourselves, or by any new technology.Ē (Marshall McLuhan, Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man, 1964)

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Paths of Glory by Jeffery Archer based on the true story of the extreme efforts and challenges in climbing Mt Everest in the 1920"s. AND then a comparison to modern efforts and resources in mountain climbing in Sharon Wood's new book is Rising: Becoming the First North American Woman on Everest in 1986. Great to read them together.
    Are used to read all the Everest books. Yes it is amazing with those guys in the 1920s did without all the technological advances that the modern guys have. Still, there are limits as to how much aid technology will give you when you’re up on that mountain.

Fillets of Plaice by Gerald Durrell. Love his writing and now that I've watched the Durrell's in Corfu I can't help but see those characters when I read it.

I finished the Kellerman audio book, and enjoyed it thoroughly. The narrator, John Rubinstein, has a fine time imbuing characters with personality, using various accents and inflections as necessary. I hadn't read his books for years, so there's a long backlog to catch up on, and in my estimation they're even better on audio.

Thread Information