Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2020?

Yppej
    Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen, light summer reading after the very heavy The Fate of Africa

ETA also started How We Fight for Our Lives, a bildungsroman style autobiography by a gay black youth. I like it not just because of the development of the protagonist but because it is well written including use of standard grammar. I dislike ungrammatical works (including posts by a person here who liked to lecture me on aspects of my life, yet despite claiming to be a teacher on numerous occasions put together sentences that were not in proper English, person since placed on ignore list).
    Last edited by Yppej; 7-23-20 at 6:26am.

Not really getting into this The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling. I think I'll pass it on.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

The Chilbury Ladies' Choir, The Confession Club and currently The Only woman in the Room. The ladies' choir was WW2 fiction, Confession Club a followup to Arthur Truluv- which I had thoroughly enjoyed and The Only Woman in the Room is about Hedy Lamarr. I had trouble putting each one down!

I enjoyed The Only Woman in the Room also. Who would have thought .... Hedy Lamarr.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I enjoyed The Only Woman in the Room also. Who would have thought .... Hedy Lamarr.
    I would! As a teenager I remember reading about her scientific and engineering achievements and remarkable help in defeating the Axis Powers during WWII. There were so many aspects to her.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    On a Farther Shore about Rachel Carson.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    On a Farther Shore about Rachel Carson.
    What about it?

I finished The Sleepwalker last night. Not one of his best, but still a decent read. It was kind of a drama/suspense type of story.

Just started "The Pioneers," by David McCullough.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Just started "The Pioneers," by David McCullough.
    Great book! I found it at Target, of all places, last year. Target actually has a pretty good book selection.

Thread Information