Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    You can download the kindle app. It will save your place in the book and keep it downloaded.
    Oh yes! It's free and works across a number of platforms, so you only have to download it once. I like to read on my laptop, but I have it on my phone and other devices, with my titles available on all.

I've just started Gateway to the Moon, by Mary Morris, after a spate of lightweight mysteries. It tells the history (going back and forth in time) of one family's flight from Spain to New Mexico in 1492, to avoid persecution. Crypto-Jews very much interest me, so I hope the narrative continues to hold my interest.

I just finished Benediction by Kent Haruf. I really loved Plain Song and its sequel (also by him). This one was not bad, but a bit dismal and the ending left me somehow dissatisfied.

Recently read on Hoopla... The Only Woman in the Room by Marie Benedict... about actress Hedy Lamar, who was also an inventor. It was decent.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I've just started Gateway to the Moon, by Mary Morris, after a spate of lightweight mysteries. It tells the history (going back and forth in time) of one family's flight from Spain to New Mexico in 1492, to avoid persecution. Crypto-Jews very much interest me, so I hope the narrative continues to hold my interest.
    And it was one dark book. Persecution, genocide, torture murders, fatal accidents, non-fatal accidents, multiple rapes, unrequited love, incest, incarceration, unhappy marriages...I'm sure I forgot something. It was well-written, if gloomy.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    The Sun Does Shine, Anthony Ray Hinton. About an innocent man who was released after 30 years on death row. He had such faith during the trail that as soon as it is explained
    at trial he was in a locked facility when the murders happened that would release him. His description of being sent to death row was very powerful and becoming friends with a former KKK member.

So far an excellent read.

Finished this book yesterday. Wow, some very powerful parts. I must admit when his mama dies, I cried right along with him. When after 30 years he was released from prison, Yup cried right along with him. I can't remember the last time a book made me cry, but this one sure did!
    I am starting this now on your recommendation as an e-book.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Great book!

Yppej
    Well I am a finicky reader and the Hinton book started out with his courtroom speech which was repetitious (he kept saying how he was praying for the judge and other people for instance). I would have preferred straightforward narrative and am now on to The War on Normal People by Andrew Yang.

Just downloaded A Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy from our library.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Today I'll be starting The Buccaneers by Edith Wharton. You know.... something light.

Thread Information