Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445

Thread: What are you reading 2020?

Going to add Book of Rosy to my list.

I'm reading "On Looking: Eleven Walks with Expert Eyes," by Alexandra Horowitz. The author takes walks with various diverse experts (geologist, urban sociologist, physician, sound designer, etc.) learning how to see ordinary overlooked things in a new way.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Yppej
    Back to The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett. Ebooks can't be renewed so I had to wait a couple months to borrow it again.

Reading the Thrush Green series by Miss Read. Set in a small English village after World War II. Very cozy. Comfort reads. The Hoopla app through my library seems to have all of them. I’m on the 4th one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Reading the Thrush Green series by Miss Read. Set in a small English village after World War II. Very cozy. Comfort reads. The Hoopla app through my library seems to have all of them. I’m on the 4th one.
    The Miss Read books are classic cosy village books, around for decades. I have not read one myself.

I do like village/neighborhood books set in England, but those with irony attract me. E.F.Benson’s Lucia series is the cream of that crop. Barbara Pym’s social comedies are wonderful. Pym published in the 1950’s and her books were republished in the 1980’s. I caught them in the 1980’s resurgence.

I like Miss Read’s Fairacre series so much better. Have all of them in paperback. There’s about 20 of those.

I’ll have to check out Barbara Pym. I think you’re the second person to recommend them to me.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Well it's certainly a catchy title! You will have to let us know if it contains useful information.
    I'm reading Missing Mom by Joyce Carol Oates. It's a good read so far, and I want my sister to read it next. I think I will remind her of the older sister in the book with my lists and notes and agendas, but hopefully not as grim or bitchy as Clare is! We both enjoy books that explore the sister relationship.
    Yeah No... focuses on the ways advertising has encouraged low self-esteem in women in order to sell them products to fix their supposed flaws. Women make three quarters of consumer purchases, thus the focus on them.

Yppej
    Today I started Unfollow about a girl raised in the Westboro Baptist Temple but who broke away as an adult. (Probably recommended to me by Amazon because I liked Educated.)

As it starts she is five years old and picketing with her family when people drive by and call them Nazis and other names (I guess Russian troll wasn't popular yet) and throw eggs, beer, and soda bottles full of urine at them.

Feline Philosophy - which is an odd juxtaposition of ancient human philosophy descriptions (Aristotle, Seneca, Tao...) and the superiority of cat thought.
    a quote within "“If cats could understand the human search for meaning they would purr with delight at its absurdity.”

Thread Information