Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    To Shake The Sleeping Self by Jedidiah Jenkins (son of Peter Jenkins, author of A Walk Across America). It's about a bicycle trip from Oregon to Patagonia, and about finding the things that are important to you.
    Welcome, Brady!

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan. After that I am out of books. I made an account and checked out my library's e-books but nothing that interests me is available now. I put holds on two items.
    I have a kindle, and every now and then I browse the free book offerings (don't have Prime) and download things that seem interesting. As a result, I have a bunch of stuff to read. There are also a bunch of publications available free online. Have fun looking!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Just finished reading Every Living Thing - oldie from James Herriot and now I want to go to the book store and just browse...but it is CLOSED :-( Sure I can do it online, but I really like to go to the store, even the 2nd hand stores are closed. Sigh. I will get online.

Yppej
    Nothing. It is depressing.

Nothing. It is depressing.
    Can't you do ebooks? I know it is not as satisfying but better than nothing?

Yppej
    I don't like any of the e-books available now at my library. They have two I am on a waiting list for. I was surprised you have to wait. I thought it would be something unlimited numbers of people could download like a PDF. They use Libby.

I get library ebooks if there is a newly-released title I want or if the Kindle price is prohibitive i.e. more than a couple of dollars. You might try looking for ebooks that are free (Project Gutenberg), https://www.free-ebooks.net/ or cheap BookBub.com, and others.

A really long historical novel - Sacajawea. I have gone back to pulling old books off the shelf here at home that I read many years ago. Next will be Watership Down and When the Legends Die.

I don't like any of the e-books available now at my library. They have two I am on a waiting list for. I was surprised you have to wait. I thought it would be something unlimited numbers of people could download like a PDF. They use Libby.
    Publishers control one-use-at-a-time. Libraries pay for a platform and choose titles within the platform, but libraries don’t make the decision on simultaneous use of a digital copy.

The library here just started Hoopla Digital... has books, movies and soundtracks... there is no waiting. They did not advertise it. I checked the library website to find out about it.

Thread Information