Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2020?

The Wright Brothers - David McCullough. So far a very interesting read.

I just discovered the - Goodreads app - yes I live in a cave. I have had great fun tracking my books and plotting to see what the
    next book I want to read.

I watched the Netflix 3 part series on Bill Gates! Was totally impressed at the volume of books he reads. I thought it very funny that he takes
    his book choices very seriously because once he commits to reading them - he finishes them. He also has book week where goes to a lake cabin
    and for a week just reads and takes notes. I did get a chuckle that his mini frig was full of just "Diet Coke".

The Good Gut, by Justin Sonnenburg, about the microbiome. Next up: Real Queer America--Lost Stories from Red States, by Samantha Allen.

I love that Bill Gates is a prolific reader. I check out his booklists every year, and read maybe one of his recommendations.

Yppej
    Cormac McCarthy's post-apocalyptic novel The Road
    Like Water for Chocolate set in Mexico with elements of magical realism that remind me of Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    The Fact of a Body a memoir and murder story

Toil and Trouble by Augusten Burroughs

Being Mortal

The Dinner List

On standby: David Perlmutter's Brain Maker. Variation on a theme--the role of the gut on brain functions.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Toil and Trouble by Augusten Burroughs
    I enjoyed it. At first I found the whole witch angle a bit too precious, but ultimately I was able to just enjoy his ability to tell an amusing tale.

There is some discussion about changing the bylaw on tree cutting in woodlots. I was part of the original support for the current bylaw so wanted to check on new information about woodlots so am reading The Hidden Life of TREES by Peter Wohlleben, a forester in Germany. He is confirming what Suzanne Simard, a forester and researcher at the University of British Columbia has discovered. Forests and woodlands are not well-researched beyond the forestry industry's interest in lumber. It seems that woodlands have as little known about them as the deepest part of the oceans.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

On Weds, I read "Before She Knew Him" by Peter Swanson from start to finish. It was quite un-put-downable and I indulged myself and pretty much read all day, something I seldom allow myself to do. A few years ago I mentioned another of his books on here, "The Kind Worth Killing." I'm surprised he hasn't made a bigger name for himself yet. I think he does a superb job with the thrillers and I intend to hunt down the other books by him that I haven't read. Pure entertainment and I enjoyed every page!

Thread Information