Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2020?

The Wright Brothers - David McCullough. So far a very interesting read.

I just discovered the - Goodreads app - yes I live in a cave. I have had great fun tracking my books and plotting to see what the
    next book I want to read.

I watched the Netflix 3 part series on Bill Gates! Was totally impressed at the volume of books he reads. I thought it very funny that he takes
    his book choices very seriously because once he commits to reading them - he finishes them. He also has book week where goes to a lake cabin
    and for a week just reads and takes notes. I did get a chuckle that his mini frig was full of just "Diet Coke".

The Good Gut, by Justin Sonnenburg, about the microbiome. Next up: Real Queer America--Lost Stories from Red States, by Samantha Allen.

I love that Bill Gates is a prolific reader. I check out his booklists every year, and read maybe one of his recommendations.

Cormac McCarthy's post-apocalyptic novel The Road
    Like Water for Chocolate set in Mexico with elements of magical realism that remind me of Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    The Fact of a Body a memoir and murder story

Toil and Trouble by Augusten Burroughs

Being Mortal

The Dinner List

On standby: David Perlmutter's Brain Maker. Variation on a theme--the role of the gut on brain functions.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Toil and Trouble by Augusten Burroughs
    I enjoyed it. At first I found the whole witch angle a bit too precious, but ultimately I was able to just enjoy his ability to tell an amusing tale.

There is some discussion about changing the bylaw on tree cutting in woodlots. I was part of the original support for the current bylaw so wanted to check on new information about woodlots so am reading The Hidden Life of TREES by Peter Wohlleben, a forester in Germany. He is confirming what Suzanne Simard, a forester and researcher at the University of British Columbia has discovered. Forests and woodlands are not well-researched beyond the forestry industry's interest in lumber. It seems that woodlands have as little known about them as the deepest part of the oceans.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

On Weds, I read "Before She Knew Him" by Peter Swanson from start to finish. It was quite un-put-downable and I indulged myself and pretty much read all day, something I seldom allow myself to do. A few years ago I mentioned another of his books on here, "The Kind Worth Killing." I'm surprised he hasn't made a bigger name for himself yet. I think he does a superb job with the thrillers and I intend to hunt down the other books by him that I haven't read. Pure entertainment and I enjoyed every page!

Thread Information