Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2020?

Jane: I used to love to Alex Delaware series, but like you, it's been a long time. Glad to hear that Alex and Milo are still doing well.
    Razz: I've read quite a few Everest books and I'm captivated by the subject. I don't know why; I don't even like to walk uphill when I'm out walking. I should check those out.
    I read a couple of good novels recently. "The Children Act" by Ian McEwan was about a judge's personal life in turmoil and one of the more challenging cases of her career. "Rescue" by Anita Shreve was about an EMT and his difficult family relationships. I guess you would call them both human dramas. I found them both fast-paced, compelling reads with likeable characters.

I didn't realize I had another Pearl S Buck book, but do and just finished Letter From Peking. Very good love story. Easy read.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

The Last Empress by Anchee Min. I'm not one for historical novels, but this was pretty interesting. Unique writing style that I had to get used to but that's a "me" thing. Would definitely read another of her books if I came across them.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Iris: Do you know Annie England Noblin? I'm currently reading St. Francis Society for Wayward Pets by her. This is a very light read of the genre I will call "woman at a crossroads in her life finds a dog, true love, and happiness." There are a surprising number of them out there and they often feature baked goods as well. Anyhow, the author's bio on the back cover says that she lives in the Missouri Ozarks with 3 rescued bulldogs, and then within the book it says 4 bulldogs (not sure if there was a death or an addition to the family since I don't know which bio blurb was written first). The combination of Missouri and rescued bulldogs made me think of you, IL.

I have been reading voraciously this past week and just finished Following the Tambourine Man - A Birthmother's Memoir by Janet Mason Ellerby. Good read.

Will be starting The Island of Seven Cities - Where the Chinese Settled When They Discovered America by Paul Chaisson. This one will probably take me a while.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Iris: Do you know Annie England Noblin? I'm currently reading St. Francis Society for Wayward Pets by her. This is a very light read of the genre I will call "woman at a crossroads in her life finds a dog, true love, and happiness." There are a surprising number of them out there and they often feature baked goods as well.
    LOL!! I know that genre! Here's another one, featuring a garden in place a dog: https://www.amazon.com/Digging-Novel.../dp/1503951707

Picked it up for free through Kindle Unlimited and it was a decent enough light-hearted read. Glad I didn't pay for it, though.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    LOL!! I know that genre! Here's another one, featuring a garden in place a dog: https://www.amazon.com/Digging-Novel.../dp/1503951707

Picked it up for free through Kindle Unlimited and it was a decent enough light-hearted read. Glad I didn't pay for it, though.
    Looks like fun! These are good books for me to share with Mom, who definitely prefers light, uncomplicated and happy!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Iris: Do you know Annie England Noblin? I'm currently reading St. Francis Society for Wayward Pets by her. This is a very light read of the genre I will call "woman at a crossroads in her life finds a dog, true love, and happiness." There are a surprising number of them out there and they often feature baked goods as well. Anyhow, the author's bio on the back cover says that she lives in the Missouri Ozarks with 3 rescued bulldogs, and then within the book it says 4 bulldogs (not sure if there was a death or an addition to the family since I don't know which bio blurb was written first). The combination of Missouri and rescued bulldogs made me think of you, IL.
    I dont know her! Cool.

Just picked up Lady Clementine by Marie Benedict about Churchill’s wife. Got it at Target. Like it so far.

Just read St Francis Society for Wayward Pets by Anne England Roblin. It is an easy read. I needed a lighter book for a break from the usual stuff that I am working on. Thanks, RoasR.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information