Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2020?

History of White Trash is a very detailed historical account of the colonization of America. If it is all true, then what we learned in school about our founding history left out a lot of juicy details. Very interesting so far to learn about how most of the original settlers were considered the bottom rung of British society and were shipped here to try and clean up their country. Much more to read so I don't know where it is going with the premise of different classes in America.

Thanks, Pinkytoe! Sounds interesting.

Empty by a woman who had an eating disorder
    Last edited by Yppej; 10-18-20 at 4:58pm.

I have liked Malcom Gladwell's writing generally but struggled with "Talking to Strangers". The first part is really interesting about how much the general 'we' default to benefit of belief of truth rather than raising questions when in doubt. He uses the Madoff Ponzi case which many knowledgeable people queried Madoff's success but preferred to believe that if there was a fraud problem, it would already have been discovered. Same with Nassar and sexual abuse of the young Olympic gymnasts in front of their parents. There is an important message in all of these cases that needs to read.

The last half of the book was an ordeal so I gave up and returned it to the library. Anyone else read this?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Vampires of Portlandia, a tale of Philippine Aswangs who emigrated to the states and settled in Portland, bringing their murderous ways with them. An urban fantasy.

I just finished Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson, and I consider this to be one of my favorite reads of 2020. I'm pretty sure someone here had recommended it, and I recently spotted it in a thrift shop and scooped it up for $1.00 very well spent. It's a delightful Austenesque romance/drama with enough wry wit and wisdom to keep it from being saccharine. It contains some very relevant commentary about bigots who pride themselves on not having a racist bone in their bodies and cultural misappropriation. It was a wonderful read and I was sorry to turn the last page!

Major Pettigrew was a good read!

Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teaching of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

The Warmth of Other Suns: the Epic Story of America's Great Migration, by Isabel Wilkerson.

The Growing Season biography
    Hidden Valley Road nonfiction
    Homeland Elegies fiction

Thread Information