Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2020?

Android smartphones made easy.

Had to buy my first smartphone with everything going on. See all these people who want the newest/thinnest, etc. smartphone and went another direction. Mine is designed for military and construction work and weighs a pound. Bigger battery, and I am on day 6 since last charge at 57%.
    Do still hate that two months, cost more then my old phone does for a year.

Mind to Matter: The Astonishing Science of How Your Brain Creates Material Reality, now that I've made some progress, reminds me more of Bill Moyers' Healing and the Mind.. Randi and that gang surely wouldn't approve.

I read too much, but I also feel simultaneously like it's not enough:

Grover Cleveland: The American Presidents Series: The 22nd and 24th President (I'm reading the entire series in order and just started this 22nd volume)
    Philosophy in the Hellenistic and Roman Worlds: A History of Philosophy Without any gaps, volume 2 (just finished)
    Philosophy in the Islamic World: A History of Philosophy Without any gaps, volume 3 (just starting)
    Much Ado About Nothingness: Essays on Nishida and Tanabe (making my way through)
    Make: High-Power Rockets (not all of my hobbies are simple, unfortunately)
    The Watcher and Other Stories Italo Calvino
    うさまる (a fun little Japanese cartoon book, I can read/speak very basic Japanese はい、ちょっと日本語を話せます。)
    Fooled By Randomness, 2nd ed. Nassim Nicholas Taleb (just finished)

The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett about a spunky, crotchety elderly British woman who I find very appealing

I just finished Gone So Long by Andre Dubus III. It was slow going initially, but then I got swept up in the story and I really loved it. He does a great job creating deeply flawed, but very human and loveable characters. The story revolves around a family tragedy, a search for atonement, and the shockwaves that continue throughout the characters' lives.

Visited the book store last night and was enticed by the buy one get one 1/2 off sale. Picked up Amity and Prosperity by Eliza Griswold. Have just read the first chapter, but have watched several YouTubes with her about the book, look forward to reading it. Also purchased Chesapeake Requiem by Earl Swift. My kids just moved to Virginia so, so this book caught my eye. I will read it after Amity, but also have watch Earl Swift in a couple YouTubes about his book and about the people on Tangier Island. Did not even know this place existed.

Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey. Love it.
    Edward Abbey ( is he still alive? Surely not) is the voice of the west, for people who like western topography and nature.My friends in New Mexico read him 40 years ago.

I'm reading a 2013 novel, The Returned, by Jason Mott. It's got an interesting premise where people are suddenly and mysteriously returning from the dead, but the author just doesn't seem to have the knack for stringing together a compelling storyline (at least in my opinion). It's an OK enough read I guess, but it's very easy to put down.

Nothing very compelling for me either, but I will see if any of these improve as I go along:

*An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England, fiction
    The Storyteller's Secret, fiction set in New York and India
    *The Magic of Ordinary Days, fiction set on the High Plains during WW2
    The Bird Artist, fiction set in Newfoundland
    *A Mercy, fiction by Toni Morrison, possibly set in the Delmarva Peninsula. Her writing is not very clear
    *Solitary, autobiography by an ex-con
    Untamed, autoiography of a woman married to a man, then later to a woman
    Devolution, fiction set in Washington state
    Last edited by Yppej; 11-15-20 at 8:54am.

Thread Information