Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I just finished A Rip in Heaven by Jeanine Cummins. It is about the murder of her cousins in St. Louis. I live through that news reporting and it remains one of the biggest murder stories, if not the biggest murder story because it had all the elements of sensationalism: beautiful sympathetic young white women are raped and murdered by four black men. Oh yeah they were thrown off a bridge as well so that was special.

She is the author of the controversial new book American Dirt.
    I see that's one of the eleventy-jillion titles in my Kindle. I don't remember ordering it, but I must have got a deal, 'cuz I'd never spend $14 on a non-reference book.

The Dutch House.

Deep Run Roots-a foodie book. Stories and recipes.

Drawdown: The Most Comprehensive Plan Ever Proposed to Address Global Warming; edited by Paul Hawken
    A Conversation between Wendell Berry and Wes Jackson; moderated by Mary Berry
    The Spartan Way: Eat Better. Train Better. Think Better. Be Better; Joe DeSena
    Humble Pie; Gordon Ramsey

Looking for a great work of fiction.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I am reading Secondhand which is really interesting. All about how our used "stuff" moves around the world. I had no idea it was a billion dollar business and that different cultures have different ideas about used clothing and merchandise.

Catherine: Have you read "This is How it Always Is" by Laurie Frankel? Gardnr recommended it not too long ago and I thought it was fantastic.

Longbourn by Jo Baker. Basically Pride and Prejudice told from the perspective of the servants.

Just finished J.D. Vance's Hillbilly Elegy. I have since watched several interviews with J.D. on YouTube and am very impressed by him - where he is come from and what he has become.

Just started reading Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson - also another one of those books that has been out a while, but new to me! A modern day "To Kill a Mockingbird" not only because of the story itself, but that it happened in Harper Lee's home town of Monroeville Alabama. Hard to put down - the best kind of book!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Catherine: Have you read "This is How it Always Is" by Laurie Frankel? Gardnr recommended it not too long ago and I thought it was fantastic.
    I'll look into it! Thanks for the recommendation.

Kindle "recommended" David McCullough's The Pioneers. It's not fiction but I do love a good history storyteller and McCullough is definitely that. I may look into that one as well.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Dear Edward. Fiction.

A Jeffrey Epstein potboiler, Dead Men Tell No Tales, by Dylan Howard.
    Good rainy day reading.

Thread Information