Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2020?

The Sun Does Shine, Anthony Ray Hinton. About an innocent man who was released after 30 years on death row. He had such faith during the trail that as soon as it is explained
    at trial he was in a locked facility when the murders happened that would release him. His description of being sent to death row was very powerful and becoming friends with a former KKK member.

So far an excellent read.

Finished this book yesterday. Wow, some very powerful parts. I must admit when his mama dies, I cried right along with him. When after 30 years he was released from prison, Yup cried right along with him. I can't remember the last time a book made me cry, but this one sure did!
    Last edited by Greg44; 3-17-20 at 8:26am.

I am re-reading Duane Elgin’s Voluntary Simplicity; one of the first books that I bought on the subject of simplicity years ago. I am enjoying reading the comments of the people that responded to the “Voluntary Simplicity Survey” in the late 1970s.
    I find myself thinking about these people who started out on the path to simplicity in the early days. Some of them had difficulty finding people in common to communicate with. I am grateful for this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Leelee View Post
    I am re-reading Duane Elgin’s Voluntary Simplicity; one of the first books that I bought on the subject of simplicity years ago. I am enjoying reading the comments of the people that responded to the “Voluntary Simplicity Survey” in the late 1970s.
    I find myself thinking about these people who started out on the path to simplicity in the early days. Some of them had difficulty finding people in common to communicate with. I am grateful for this forum.
    One of the great classics! I met Duane Elgin several years ago. The Open Center in NYC hosted him for a talk--I was so excited I signed up right away! Because of work and also because of the traffic going into NY that day I was a little bit late, and so bummed. I figured that with all the thousands of his fans I'd have a hard time seeing him from the back of the room.

So they told me which room to go to, and when I walked in, there he was in a circle with only 8 other people!! He welcomed me and pointed to one of the empty chairs. I was shocked! I had brought my copy of VS to have him sign it, and after the seminar, as he was signing my book, one of the people said to him, Oh, you wrote a book?" That's how much of a VS nerd I was! He was a superstar to me, but others didn't even know of him.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Wow! That’s incredible!! Crazy that so few people were there but good for you all to have such an intimate meeting with him. Great that you took your copy of the book for signing. What a fabulous memory.

After finishing "The Sun Does Shine", I decided to choose a book that wasn't so intense! "Every Living Thing" by James Herriot. I read one or two of his books back in the
    late 1970's and I could really relate. I worked for a veterinarian my senior year in high school and my first year in college. I stumbled across this copy while at a thrift store last month and thought I would give it a go.

Well dang. Our libraries are closed. Yes, I agree that no congregating. I had hoped the online reserve and a quick pick-up would continue. It is not to be. And I only have 2 in the house. All due dates are now June 1.

Looks like a lot more screen-time for this girl. Going to have to gadget-read.

Oh, I love James Herriott! So my son and my father--so that's three generations of us. A wonderful author, and great a good thing to read during troubled times.

Greg, if you have not read My Family and Other Animals, by Gerald Durrell, you might want to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Oh, I love James Herriott!
    Me, too!!!! Started reading him in the late 70s, but couldn't read him on the stuffy MetroNorth from NYC to Westchester NY because I would embarrass myself by bursting out laughing on the train. He's the best.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Anyone (re)reading The Stand by Stephen King?
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

No thanks.

Thread Information