Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: January declutter challenges!

My husband can join yours. We have a big stack of old tires in our shed. He won’t get rid of them yet when our cars need tires he has never looked to see if they fit. Ugh!

yep ... My feeling is that if an item is going to be saved and stored and then ignored when it's actually useful, then we're simply storing garbage, and I'd like to know what the point of that would possibly be. I'm trying to find a slightly less irritated way to express this, as I ponder a mountain of assorted screws, bolts, outlets, washers, drill bits and other "just in case" carpentry aids. We could build a second house - except that if we did, our first stop would be the hardware store to buy all new screws, bolts, washers, outlets and drill bits.

klunick
    Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    yep ... My feeling is that if an item is going to be saved and stored and then ignored when it's actually useful, then we're simply storing garbage, and I'd like to know what the point of that would possibly be. I'm trying to find a slightly less irritated way to express this, as I ponder a mountain of assorted screws, bolts, outlets, washers, drill bits and other "just in case" carpentry aids. We could build a second house - except that if we did, our first stop would be the hardware store to buy all new screws, bolts, washers, outlets and drill bits.
    My husband sort of did build a second house. It is a detached garage but it is huge! Even has a second floor!! Has a space large enough to store four hot rods (stacked), and a workshop. The second floor is storage for car parts.

klunick
    This morning's declutter...

Went through old medicine/prescriptions and threw out expired or unused ones. Also went through the various first aid kits we had accumulated and consolidated them.

klunick
    I inherited the desk of a hoarder when I came to a new section within my current job about two years ago. The first year, she was also here but sat in a different area within the same office so I felt obligated to keep her desk pretty much as she had it. She left Dec 2018 but it was unsure if she'd be back or not. It's officially been a year since she left so today, I cleared out all her crap that had been driving me NUTS for the last two years. She hoarded pens/pencils/hi-lighters/post it notes/markers/empty folders. You name it, she had it on her desk or in one of her overheads. Now... I made the desk my own finally and it looks so nice now!!

Quote Originally Posted by klunick View Post
    I inherited the desk of a hoarder when I came to a new section within my current job about two years ago. The first year, she was also here but sat in a different area within the same office so I felt obligated to keep her desk pretty much as she had it. She left Dec 2018 but it was unsure if she'd be back or not. It's officially been a year since she left so today, I cleared out all her crap that had been driving me NUTS for the last two years. She hoarded pens/pencils/hi-lighters/post it notes/markers/empty folders. You name it, she had it on her desk or in one of her overheads. Now... I made the desk my own finally and it looks so nice now!!
    Oh that would have driven me insane, one of my most important parts of getting comfortable in a new situation is being able to "nest". I even put the junk like fliers and room service menus away in a drawer when I'm in a hotel, just so I'm not surrounded by crap that's not mine. So nice you finally got to settle in!

klunick
    Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    Oh that would have driven me insane, one of my most important parts of getting comfortable in a new situation is being able to "nest". I even put the junk like fliers and room service menus away in a drawer when I'm in a hotel, just so I'm not surrounded by crap that's not mine. So nice you finally got to settle in!
    It felt so good to clear that crap out.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by klunick View Post
    I have been doing this at work too. Anything more than a year old I can toss so I will be done in June.

Gave away some dog grooming tools to my neighbor today- comb, brushes, scissors. Now I just have what I actually use, yay! Put them in a caddy and made a handy place to put it. No more dog brushes laying around.

klunick
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I have been doing this at work too. Anything more than a year old I can toss so I will be done in June.
    I must have started a trend. Co-worker came in and immediately started clearing all the crap that is on her desk. Now if only the slob who sits behind would do that (not going to happen though).

Thread Information