Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2020 Frugals

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    Are you participating in an organized challenge like The Compact or doing this solo???
    Just solo - but I will look for The Compact - accountability always helps! I did buy a pair of brown slacks on 12/31 and a bra at Kohl's last week. I returned something to Amazon there and I got a 25% off coupon. I needed a bra, so found one on sale. with the coupon, is was about 50% off.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I work in retail and when we have something that cannot sell for whatever reason, it gets deposited into a bin we call the "graveyard". Employees are allowed to take what they want from this bin. Right before Christmas there was a nice sweater dress with a ripped seam on one sleeve. I took hit home, sewed it, paired it with a pair of graveyard leggings and had my holiday outfit!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

I was stocking up on sales but now am not finding much I don't already have a good supply of, so I'm spending about $40 less a week on groceries.

I've been eating out of the fridge/freezer all week and that will continue through the weekend. We need nothing. I guess that makes it a no-spend week

We needed a new handrail for the new basement stair project and we stopped at Habitat Restore and found two at eight each, rather than twenty eight each.

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    Just solo - but I will look for The Compact - accountability always helps! I did buy a pair of brown slacks on 12/31 and a bra at Kohl's last week. I returned something to Amazon there and I got a 25% off coupon. I needed a bra, so found one on sale. with the coupon, is was about 50% off.
    Oh, sorry, 'm not sure The Compact is still up and I found it kind of clunky, it was just an example. There are quite a few sites on facebook devoted to no-spend years, though. I haven't done it in a while, but this one - at the time I was doing a no-spend - was quite active and entertaining.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/thenospendchallenge/

Jan 07,08,09,10 & 11
    ---Finished last of soup pot by adding bits and bits from
    the freezer and pantry.
    --eating pickled eggs for snacks. We add an excess of eggs over
    Christmas and used them up by pickling. Good in salads or as egg salad.
    --made an smoothie this morning from frozen yougurt, milk (put in freezer
    when they were close to expire dates) and banana and raspberries from freezer.
    It was very good.
    --Trip to Costco today and did not go over budget. Used coupons and bought
    mostly on sale items.
    --Drop by Giant Tiger (they are only a couple blocks away) and got 2 bags of
    different cabbage salad kits marked down for $1.00 each. Dated for tomorrow.
    Used one today with pickled eggs on it and will have the other tomorrow.

Found the last of the sprouting seeds, haven’t started any yet. Designed the veggie garden, although I always have too much seed, somehow.

Went to the dump yesterday on the way to go look at cars. Pleased to say that we finally found the next one! It’s a small Volvo, both cheaper and smaller than we’d looked at otherwise. Part of this was we agreed finally to rent utility vehicles this year to get rid of the excess, rather than buying a van etc. So there’s a red van out front, rented, to haul away the French bakers table and pick up the dresser and likely some boxes from the storage too before we return it.

I am boiling up my first batch of dried beans from decorative canisters.

Does thinking about a purchase and not making it count as a frugal? Was thinking of getting a new clay bread baking cloche with lid for my sourdough, but decided that I am going to try using my clay bread pan with another pan turned upside down on top of it. If it works, saved $60+ dollars.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Thread Information