Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2020 Frugals

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Thanks Steve. I do sometimes hike in remote areas so I want reliable service.
    With regards to remote areas, my tracfone has worked on hikes where other cell users couldn't get service, so it I think it does just depend on where you are, maybe.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

The only time I couldn't get service was once in Acadia National Park, and the people I was with (who use other types of plans) couldn't get service either. I've had no problems in the Berkshires or Niagara or even in Canada. I was not supposed to have service in Canada per my pre-trip research, but I also saw comments to the effect that I might very well have service anyway, and indeed I did. There was no difference from my perspective when I crossed the border.
    TF definitely doesn't have much in the way of customer service. I think I'm about to upgrade my $60 smartphone for the first time, mainly so I can have the capacity to run some apps. I'm looking at a TF Galaxy A10e for $160. and I can get a micro scandisk card to expand the ROM. I've had my current phone (LG Rebel 4) for 3 or 4 years, so my cost to own per year is very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    TracFone, like most MVNOs and carrier prepaid brands, does not offer all the roaming agreements postpaid customers get, so there may be some dead spots once you get away from the area where you live. But if you just use your phone around a major metropolitan area and don't need to count on it to find you a tow truck in Frostbite Falls, Minnesota, it'll be fine.
    My wife used TracFone for years while I was in possession of company phones linked to Nextel, Sprint or AT&T corporate accounts. During those years as we wandered the country in our motorhome, her's was the only phone which never, ever lost service. We found their footprint to be spectacular!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    With regards to remote areas, my tracfone has worked on hikes where other cell users couldn't get service, so it I think it does just depend on where you are, maybe.
    Yup. My major point was that one should always choose the network first and then the carrier. I may get a really low rate for tello or Boost or somesuch, but if Sprint coverage where I live stinks, I'm wasting my money on those Sprint resellers. Fortunately there are lots of carriers out there competing with each other. Including a bunch in TracFone's/América Móvil's own stable.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    Starting a no-spend year for clothes, shoes, jewelry, etc.
    Are you participating in an organized challenge like The Compact or doing this solo???

I pay $31.88 a month for phone, talk and text only. I do have home wifi and use that not my phone for everything online. Does anyone use a phone only and no wifi? I have wondered would that be less, though it's not practical now with multiple people/devices in the house.
    DH pays $33 a month through republic wireless for 2 phones, work and personal, no data - most of his calls go thru a voip / wifi. I do tracfone, about $10 a month and I get a limited amount of data for "absolutely necessary" internet access when I'm not at home. Since we have wifi at home, this works for me. Centurylink wifi internet is $35 a month. So 3 phonelines and unlimited wifi is $77, netflix is $14, and we have amazon prime, which gives us a few more media options - works because of how much stuff we order online, I wouldn't do Amazon just for the media benefit. We have an amazon firestick which was a one-time expense of $50, and load various streaming programs for free through that.

eta: I see the question on tracfone reliability. Where I live (urban southwest), I have found tracfone 100% reliable. I travel less than I once did, but haven't ever found myself stranded.

Sorry for the long response. Basically, our entertainment media, internet and 3 cellphones costs under $100 a month.

I get together with a few other people regularly for "Boy On The Side." Bots nite. (it's a mix of women and gay men). We gather at the same place but take turns paying for the meal for all. I've discovered that my friends are actually craving home cooked meals, so when it's my turn instead of ordering Dominos or Firehouse Subs, I can play - honing my cooking skills, experimenting with things hubs doesn't like and actually saving money. Frugal win!

Yppej
    My son uses VOIP and I hate the call quality. I guess I am pickier about my phone service than I realized.

My son uses VOIP and I hate the call quality. I guess I am pickier about my phone service than I realized.
    Republic wireless does give you a choice, you can shut of the wifi-phone option if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    Starting a no-spend year for clothes, shoes, jewelry, etc.
    Oh that's a great idea! I don't buy or wear jewelry except for the gorgeous emerald necklace from hubby 20 Christmases ago (this was our 40th). I tell people it's my wedding ring. I'm not a clothes junky. Last year I replaced worn out jeans and bought a few pieces for football games-school logo stuff. I ordered 2 new pair of everyday shoes-mine were all worn out and atrocious. And 2 new bras-badly needed.

Well hell, this is like cheating. Never mind.

Thread Information