Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: January 2020 Frugals

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This is not frugal in the way the thread is intended but yet it’s interesting and I’ll pass this along just in case anyone is interested: on eBay, when you put some items on your watchlist,The sellers of those items contact you through a eBay with deep discounts.

I am shopping handmade ceramics and I put five items on my watchlist. The seller of everyone, different sellers,Contacted me offering discounts anywhere from 5% to 50%. I don’t know if this practice is common on eBay but I’ve never had it happen to me before.
    I just had this happen with the clay bread baking pan I was looking at! Don't think I'm going to buy it, but the lower price is certainly tempting.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Tybee: If it's any consolation, the shipping cost is very likely at least close to what the seller is paying for shipping, if you are buying from an individual.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Tybee: If it's any consolation, the shipping cost is very likely at least close to what the seller is paying for shipping, if you are buying from an individual.
    Yes, an individual, and thanks, that does make me feel better.

Oh good! Sometimes I've even goofed and the shipping cost me even more that what I charged the buyer. Shipping charges went up quite a bit last year and that was a big deal for eBay sellers.
    So here is a frugal/not frugal/well I tried: It has happened to me 3 times recently that I heard about a good book and got it from the library. Then I would realize that Mom or Sis or both needed to read it, so I ended up buying it anyway in order to pass to them! At least I was able to buy on eBay, where books are quite cheap if they aren't new or valuable. Two of the books were "We are All Completely Beside Ourselves" and " This is How it Always Is," so I'm holding Gardnr and Iris Lily responsible for those two!

Current January frugal is doing a no spend month. We're paying the mortgage, utilities, medical, food, and job search expenses. We tried in the past, but we didn't quite define what counted or made too many exceptions. We did a freezer inventory and decided we could buy fresh food to complement what's in the freezer. We also decided we will buy from the local grocery store and only buy what we could carry home walking. Day 22 and we're going strong, if nothing else it's a personal best. Now were thinking if we can carry it into February. Last year we had a ton of unexpected expenses like replacing the windshield when it was hit by a rock, replacing the air conditioner, and lots of medical expenses not covered by insurance. It wasn't a crisis, but I'm happy seeing the emergency fund account steadily increasing.

Yppej
    I finished the old lima beans and am currently soaking a big jarful of kidney beans to cook. The beans are dinners most nights for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hana View Post
    Current January frugal is doing a no spend month. We're paying the mortgage, utilities, medical, food, and job search expenses. We tried in the past, but we didn't quite define what counted or made too many exceptions. We did a freezer inventory and decided we could buy fresh food to complement what's in the freezer. We also decided we will buy from the local grocery store and only buy what we could carry home walking. Day 22 and we're going strong, if nothing else it's a personal best. Now were thinking if we can carry it into February. Last year we had a ton of unexpected expenses like replacing the windshield when it was hit by a rock, replacing the air conditioner, and lots of medical expenses not covered by insurance. It wasn't a crisis, but I'm happy seeing the emergency fund account steadily increasing.
    Hana: That is really impressive that you've been able to keep it up for so long!

Since Jan 12th to Jan 24th
    --mostly eating up but, did buy 2 large Eye of Round Roasts $3.00
    I took the ends off and did BBQ Beef in the Instant Pot and froze many meals.
    --Dd made about 3 lbs with Indian Sauce and we had two meals and froze some.
    --the rest I cut up into small pieces and froze in 1/2 lb packs, enough for dinner
    for two.
    --Sold a suitcase that was too large for me to use on KIJIJI $25.
    --Sold a large amount of thread. I had more then I could ever use for $20.00 on KIJIJI
    --still eating soup from frozen turkey carcasses
    --not shopping at all
    --changed Internet provider, not frugal because it is very slightly higher but,
    so far it seems to be working much better.
    That is all I can think of for now

Jan 25th to Jan 30
    --sold two men's jackets on ebay made $27.00 not much but,
    something and out of the house
    --eating leftovers and things frozen from batch cooking
    --Dd trimmed the hair on my neck saved a couple of weeks to
    hair cut. I am letting in grow out to a short bob will not have
    the need for constant trims.
    --bringing tea, snacks and lunch when I volunteer.
    --cleaned out fridge and eating up veggies and using up
    condiments.
    --getting prices on fixing a leak in basement that a really heavy rainfall
    has caused to show up...Grr

That is all a can think of for now.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Hana: That is really impressive that you've been able to keep it up for so long!
    Thanks! This time we did some discussion and planning in December. We didn't buy anything in anticipation of running out in January, and we defined what should be considered an essential. I'm happy we made it this far

Thread Information