Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Another War?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Too many of us have paid into these ponzi schemes and have been given promises.
    I figure that's why they are propping up the stock market etc. (billions a day now - ok technically it's the banking system). Social security makes a lot of sense as a program, imperfect if it may be.

Everything else most people are betting their retirement on, and so do I, is nuts as all get go. But I do accept the world is nuts, and I must just live in it If there was a capitalism that makes sense economically (even if not in other senses like environmentally) without massive government liquidity infusions, we aren't there and haven't been for quite awhile.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    We'll be finding out what the result of scrapping hundreds of regulations and safeguards will be, as Trump and his cabinet have made that a priority.
    ah yes, the rolled back promises.

It was President Obama who took away a promised program in Social Security income, one we planned to use. But Nope! Obama pulled that rug out from under us. No file-and-suspend for DH!

The thing is with us, we are not stupid sheeple who actually believe the gubmmt is here to help us. So I guess no big surprise.

My other close up and personal experience with Soc Security (during the Obama administration) was detailed in depth here years ago so I won’t cover it again. It was mind boggling, though, that Social Security threatened to remove my workplace from their entire program for their own idiotic glitch. My blood pressure is going up just thinking about it.The glitch was: they did not have in their possession the 1960’s authorizing letter from our Board of Directors agreeing to participate. And my workplace actually was able to find our copy of the letter. But no! They had to have the original or no dice.

And the cherry on top? The bxtxh from Social Security had the nerve to joke “we are from the government and are here to help.”

Such clueless bullshit.

The thing is with us, we are not stupid sheeple who actually believe the gubmmt is here to help us. So I guess no big surprise.
    this is mostly people quite correctly IMO evaluating social security as much more reliable than much else, in a world for which for most people, nothing is absolutely reliable. That just doesn't exist. And it doesn't mean everything else is quite made of sand, but Social Security promises are one of the more reliable things as far as anything goes. But nothing is absolutely so.

(I am reminded of the song "busload of faith" ("it takes a busload of faith to get by ..") - but we should try to hold government accountable for what it does of course).
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

In the end, you can only balance various risks against each other. You canít eliminate them. I agree the best strategy is choosing some combination of the surviving elements of capitalism and the governmentís cost-benefit analysis with regard to breaking promises.

But we rational grownups with an eye toward the countryís finances are doing our best to keep more of the same creeping into our federal system.
    So you're gonna vote for the democrats next time?

I can’t believe you called government programs Ponzi schemes. These programs are indispensable.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    So you're gonna vote for the democrats next time?
    of course not, none of them in Congress are rational adults about their spending. Well, Rand Paul stands up once in a wjile and makes a plea for rationality.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Of course these will not be rolled back because they are now too ingrained in our society. Too many of us have paid into these ponzi schemes and have been given promises.

But we rational grownups with an eye toward the countryís finances are doing our best to keep more of the same creeping into our federal system. If the states want to give away their wealth, let Ďem, that is ok with me. It the feds need to just staaaaaaaahp.
    i disagree. The index by which SS determines raises can be changed, retirement age increased, higher Medicare premiums and copays, smaller block grants to states to administer their own programs (instead of just taking less tax money) but then itís impossible to take wealth from the coastal elites and redistribute to the red states. Squeezing all of these programs little by little for ten years could make many more sick and poor people.

Evidence: the republicans have been saying for close to ten years now they were going to repeal and replace the ACA. Iíve seen lots of repeal attempts and zero replace attempts. There would be huge celebrations if Obamacare was totally abolished until all those pesky uninsured who would realize what they lost. Especially those diabetics, and so on also known as currently protected preexisting condition consumers. You lose your job and canít get a new one quickly because your company relocates and you are sol if you are a diabetic, pregnant or cancer patient without the ACA protections.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I can’t believe you called government programs Ponzi schemes. These programs are indispensable.
    Whether they are Ponzi schemes and whether they are indispensable are two separate and unrelated issues. You can fund an indispensable program with an unsustainable Ponzi scheme, at least for awhile. But funding a sacred program does not elevate an unsustainable funding mechanism above criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Finally, an alternative to the shopworn Hitler trope.

I wonder who people compared Hitler to back in the day? Various Hunnish or Mongol monarchs?
    Churchill compared him to street urchins "bloodthirsty guttersnipe".

Thread Information