Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Another War?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We don’t have to take anymore money from people.
    Several of the leading Democratic Presidential candidates are talking about doubling (at a minimum) federal spending in order to provide free stuff. Where does that money come from?
    Unfortunately, the people in power are corrupt.
    What makes you say that?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yes, power corrupts. Three speakers of my state house in a row were indicted:

https://www.masslive.com/news/2011/0...--_salvat.html

Since then my state senate leader resigned amid a scandal.

Big money interests donate to committee chairs in the state legislature and in return if they don't like a proposed bill the chair kills it in committee.

I hear Rhode Island and Louisiana are even worse.

Gov. Inslee of WA State:

https://www.governor.wa.gov/news-med...anadian-border

I use this border crossing frequently. I can see it from here.

Cut military spending, repeal the tax cuts and withdraw from the Middle East. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Several of the leading Democratic Presidential candidates are talking about doubling (at a minimum) federal spending in order to provide free stuff.
    Definition of "free stuff" according to an article I just read:

“Free stuff”

A term of contemptuous dismissal for public services that are commonly available in other developed countries, and which any decent society would make available to all human beings.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Definition of "free stuff" according to an article I just read:

“Free stuff”

A term of contemptuous dismissal for public services that are commonly available in other developed countries, and which any decent society would make available to all human beings.
    Whoever provided that definition seems a little crotchety in their moralizing. When I hear 'free stuff' I think of the actual cost of it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Whoever provided that definition seems a little crotchety in their moralizing. When I hear 'free stuff' I think of the actual cost of it.

Well, then, as you know, entitlements are not "free stuff." Funding is built into the economy via all taxpayers. This "free stuff" doesn't come in the form of BMWs and ski-jets. It comes in the form of quality of life commodities that we would all benefit equally from--healthcare and education for instance.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

There's no magic to it. If we want a bigger welfare state, we need to pay for it with taxes on the middle class. That's how all those other countries pay for theirs. That, and various forms of rationing.

But here our social saviors want us to believe we can avoid that unpleasant reality by telling us we can get all we need by shaking down billionaires and looking for change under the federal seat cushions.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    d
    Last edited by flowerseverywhere; 1-10-20 at 5:55am.

I read about fifty people were trampled to death at one of those spontaneous eruptions of grief you often see in totalitarian countries when one of the ruling cutthroats dies.

Thread Information