Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Caution, Wet Paint!

Today is most definitely a painting day, as I am stuck here waiting for the plumber to come. We have had no running water for three days because the aging water pump and pressure tank finally bit the dust - I came home from work the other day and as I was walking up the little hill up to the house I heard it churning away! I guess it turned itself on (it has been known for no reason to just turn on and start pumping on its own) and burned out while I was at work. Anyway, I got it shut off and couldn't get it to turn on again. The funny thing is just the day before K. decided he was going to cash in an old 401k in order to replace the bathroom plumbing and pump. I though we would have more lead time in getting it set up though! Side- Note: if you have a kid trying figure out what to do as a career, I strongly recommend the trades - electricians and plumbers make huge bucks out here in New Mexico and they are always booked way out in advance. Today is the first day I can even get someone out here to look at the system and see what needs to be done. I am hoping that we can get it done tomorrow, but it may bleed into Friday, who knows? In the meantime I have been taking our dishes down to the gallery to do and taking showers down there as well. So glad we have that option!

Back to the painting project: today I am going to paint the charming home-made (not by us) wall bookshelf in the "family room" the same rich, bright yellow as the walls opposite. The wall surrounding the bookshelf will remain white.

Okay, off to don my painting clothes!

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    Side- Note: if you have a kid trying figure out what to do as a career, I strongly recommend the trades - electricians and plumbers make huge bucks out here in New Mexico and they are always booked way out in advance. Today is the first day I can even get someone out here to look at the system and see what needs to be done. I am hoping that we can get it done tomorrow, but it may bleed into Friday, who knows?
    It's too bad society has done such a good job of convincing people that everyone "needs" a college degree, because skilled tradespeople like electricians and plumbers are getting harder and harder to come by (more are hanging up their tool belt from age than entering the fields). You can make darned good money in the trades these days and it's going to be quite some time before someone in a lower-cost country can remote-control into a leaky pipe and stop the water.

Hope you find a good plumber soon, SQ.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

love the color. I'm thinking about refinishing my furniture, found a good guide, but having second thoughts. Have anyone done it? are you happy with results?

My ex did it once on a Eastlake bed from 1840. It looked beautiful but took forever. I usually hire it down. When I was young I stripped all the woodwork downstairs in a big old house. It turned out great but was very time consuming.

I am totally into Anne Sloan chalk paint--meaning, I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to. You don't have to strip or prime and the results look awesome.

Terry, regarding Eastlake, one of the things I couldn't bring myself to purge myself of was my Eastlake dresser that came from my aunt's 1914 cottage. They had it painted baby blue--as many of the Eastlake cottage pieces were painted at that time. In the 70s, my mother's husband stripped it, so it has been its natural oak for 50 years. So before we sell our NJ house, I have to decide if I want to keep the really nice and functional second-hand pine dresser we bought when we first moved here, or replace it with the Eastlake dresser. I LOVE that dresser, but to be honest, the pine dresser is so practical, with its combination of large, medium and small drawers.

But I do love the Eastlake style.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Our Eastlake bed was mahogany and I sold it 8 years ago when we downsized. It was appraised at 2k and I got 250 and it took 6 months to sell.

Thread Information