Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Preparing for War?

Preparing for War?

In my community, there seem to be a fair number of people concerned about war with Iran, and engaging in preparedness efforts as a result.

Are you doing anything special for this, or other potential emergencies in your area?

I decided to go on a "war footing" last week, which in my case is identical to my response plans for a large winter storm, one of which is "likely" for later this coming week: made sure I have enough firewood handy, batteries charged, at least 1/2 a tank of gas in all the vehicles, that sort of thing. Nothing special.

I was surprised however about the newcomers to my community, who seemed unaware that our County emergency management agency issues guidelines for just normal run-of-the-mill non-warfare preparedness for those of us who choose to live in this remote spot. Some of the new folks seem to think everyone else will help them when the lights go out (which they did for a couple of hours yesterday due to high winds).

http://joomla.sanjuandem.net/index.p...d=68&Itemid=53

Living in a urban area no I am not worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Living in a urban area no I am not worried.
    Ditto. In winter we always leave the cars no less than half-full, there's an emergency kit in both trunks, there's cash in the house if we need it, we're fairly mobile if we need to be, we're not down to zero on groceries, and there are enough people around to pool resources so that planning does not go beyond that. "Remote" absolutely is not an issue here.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

haha, in a way I moved to this remote island and away from urbania because, in the case of a geopolitical disaster, like war I'd rather be up here in Grand Isle than in the NY metro area. I'm not a prepper at all, but I have to say war/disaster crossed my mind when picking this place. I do feel safe up here, and we have built social capital. I've joked with my neighbors that if we ever had a nuclear war they are so skilled they would be able dig out scraps of wood and metal from their backyard sheds and build a fallout bunker in an afternoon. I just have to work on what my contribution would be in that case. I don't think my interviewing skills would have much value then.

I like the checklist on that website, bae, and I'm printing it out and will start working on it--not because I expect World War III but because after Hurricane Sandy I promised myself I'd do more common sense preparation, which I haven't so far.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Funny you mentioned this; one of my decluttering activities today was to get the old crank radio I bought my parents years ago and see if it still worked.
    They had never used it, but the batteries had corroded, so we removed those and cleaned it out and got it ready for new batteries.
    I cranked it and it worked beautifully. You get AM/FM, Weather, and TV, apparently.
    We're going to leave it out and cranked up.

Yppej
    I locked in my home heating oil rate this year, which so far has not saved me anything and even cost me a little, but if prices continue climbing it will help.

I think I could get by without extra equipment or supplies for at least two weeks. I've used one of those emergency solar/crank radios a few times in power outages. It's a good reminder to charge up my lantern. Probably clean water and home heating would be some of the main challenges if some of those systems go down. I have some camping gear like stove, water filter, sleeping bags, and dehydrated camp foods that would be helpful.

The canned spam I had for Y2K 20 years ago is long gone, but would probably still be good.

I have enough food and water. I don't really need heat--in a previous week-long outage, I just hunkered down in bed. I should check my batteries and such, I suppose.

I watched a movie recently about a prepper who had a hidden storeroom stocked to the gills. Canned tuna was his thing - hundreds of cans. I keep thinking at the least I need to have some candles in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I watched a movie recently about a prepper who had a hidden storeroom stocked to the gills. Canned tuna was his thing - hundreds of cans. I keep thinking at the least I need to have some candles in the house.
    May I encourage you instead to consider some of the modern high-efficiency LED lanterns, and use rechargeable AA batteries? Then when it is a cold dark and stormy night, the fire department won't have to come out when there is A Candle Mishap, something we have happen here a couple times a year.

Thread Information