Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It's starting......

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    We are in the Middle East due to oil. All the more reason to pursue green policies. If you factor in the costs of war renewable energy is much cheaper than oil.
    Agreed 100 percent! Rob

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Where do Austrians typically run to in a hurry when under threat of terror or war?

Have they had a lot of experience recently with asymmetric warfare within their borders? I remember the '85 attacks, and a couple of others.

Where, Rob, are *you* planning on running to in a hurry, when your zip code is attacked? What form of attack are you expecting?
    In the past, Austrians have fled to the mountains. If things ever really truly became WW2 level bad, I'd say the Santa Catalina Muntain Range outside if Tucson might be good to flee to if it's a suvivalustic situation akin to being Jewish in WW2 Europe. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Apparently no one was hurt in Iran's missile attack. Maybe they've saved face now and things can settle down some.
    So, either the intent was to make a nonlethal face-saving gesture, or it was a very poorly executed strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    We are in the Middle East due to oil. All the more reason to pursue green policies. If you factor in the costs of war renewable energy is much cheaper than oil.
    Exactly. American oligarchs have a lot of money tied up in foreign oil. Let's get out entirely.

There is also a lot of money tied up in war machines and weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    There is also a lot of money tied up in war machines and weapons.
    Exactly. War profiteers are the scum of the earth, filling their pockets with blood money.

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist." -Dwight D Eisenhower, 1961

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    In the past, Austrians have fled to the mountains. If things ever really truly became WW2 level bad, I'd say the Santa Catalina Muntain Range outside if Tucson might be good to flee to if it's a suvivalustic situation akin to being Jewish in WW2 Europe. Rob
    Have you, um, been to those mountains and spent a lot of time there? (Glamping doesn't count...)

I think the common thought of "I'll just flee to the mountains or the countryside" is just a foolish fantasy for most people.

They lack the skills to survive there, and the local contacts and knowledge to gain the support of the local residents. And haven't really thought through what's going to happen when they and every other person with the same idea decides to try to get there, and try to survive afterwards.

They'll just die - cold, hungry, thirsty, and suffering from disease.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Have you, um, been to those mountains and spent a lot of time there? (Glamping doesn't count...)

I think the common thought of "I'll just flee to the mountains or the countryside" is just a foolish fantasy for most people.

They lack the skills to survive there, and the local contacts and knowledge to gain the support of the local residents. And haven't really thought through what's going to happen when they and every other person with the same idea decides to try to get there, and try to survive afterwards.

They'll just die - cold, hungry, thirsty, and suffering from disease.
    Bae......your assets are showing.

I don't mean this in a nasty, snarky way, either. What I mean is if pressed for survival, people will tend to do whatever it takes.....necessity is the mother of all invention they say. Reading the accounts of some Holocaust survivors it is amazing whst people did to try to make it to the next day.

Granted, right now in the 85006 even things are not at or even near this level - I'm talking worst cade scenario/not to flee equals fairly certain death. Perhaps for some fleeong equals death on their iwn terms and some will survive.

I don't know what's going to happen and I trust neither side - Iran or the US. I owe it to Austria to survive uf I can should things gey very bad. Once again, who knows what is going to happen.

I do believe practical people would be making contingency plans, just in case. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Bae......your assets are showing.
    My "assets" in this case are a lifetime of experience learning to live in the woods, mountains, and rural areas.

I saved someone's life just the other day who thought it was a good idea to go for a short hike, and who didn't understand how quickly a day can turn very very bad for those lacking skills and awareness. It took hours, and a rappel down a 500 foot cliff face. In weather so bad that neither the Navy nor the Coast Guard were able to launch and assist.

Rob - have you ever spent a week or two, unsupported, by yourself, in the woods/mountains?

Auto correct is really frustrating! Should be: what people did, worst case scenario, for some fleeing, death on their own terms, survive if I can, should things get very bad above. I can't go back to my OP to correct all this on my phone as the site software will only delete my post if I do. Rob

Thread Information