Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: It's starting......

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    If your stated plan is "I'm a gonna flee to the mountains", it wouldn't seem to require a whole lot of effort to at least go to the library and read a couple books...

Most of the "assets" I developed for this particular scenario, oh-great-caller-out-of-assets, was when I was a boy, living in a trailer in the woods in hillbilly country, hunting small game and fishing to get food for the family, and checking my trapline.

I suppose the "asset", as I mentioned above, is skill and knowledge, and connectiveness-to-community.
    Bae, I'm nit saying there's anything wrong with reading up and acquiring skills....once again, my point is that not all entering a brutal survival situation have this luxury. Think of people being brutally stripped of their comfortable lives in WW2 and perhaps you will see my point? Rob

Should be I'm not saying above

The sierras are high so people die in the summer also. But in summer you are more likely to run into others that can lead you out or get help if you are hurt. My youngest son went hiking alone for 4 days to a lake. He injured himself the day he was leaving. A guy found him, fed him dinner and breakfast and hiked out quickly in the morning and sent help. They had to get him out with a helicopter.

Who are we fleeing in this scenario? Vengeful jihadis? The Phoenix PD? Some errant nuclear infernal machine? I would think knowing that might help me decide where to run. Or if running was the smart thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Who are we fleeing in this scenario?
    Austrians bent on wiping out their Jewish neighbors?

Ouch!

It’s all well and good to harbor romantic fantasies of fleeing to some unspecified haven that will take you in for unspecified reasons; but wouldn’t the prudent prospective refugee want to have that worked out some of the unspecified details in advance? I would think that would merit more thought than a packing list.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Who are we fleeing in this scenario? Vengeful jihadis?
    Good question! Realistically the only potential enemy with proximity to us is our own government and I have faith that the majority of its agents would refuse to do violence against us. I often think the OP lives in an alternate reality, perhaps one containing enemies closer at hand.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

That was a low blow, bae. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ouch!
    Kudos, IL. Credit granted for understanding that was a low blow. Rob

Thread Information