Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The new girl

klunick

The new girl

Hi! I am Kelly. I have always been happy with not having a lot of stuff. Never knew there was a name for it until I came across a YouTube video the other day about minimalism. That is me!!

The last week of my Christmas vacation was spent decluttering my house. I thought it already was until I went looking for stuff to get rid of. I am sure our trash service was cursing me as they were throwing bag after bag after bag onto the truck. I still have a little bit left to purge but I can tell the difference already. Seeing what I have and only having what I need is great!

As far as me, I am a wife and mom to two boys. I work at a Police Department as a civilian employee which is why I am up at this ungodly hour! I went from being a City girl to living in the boonies about 23 years ago and I love it. Suits my "simple life" attitude so much better!!

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you and learning your tricks to living a more simple life. Maybe I can even get my husband and oldest son on board. They like to accumulate stuff!!

Yppej
    Welcome. With 23+ years living the simple life I look forward to your contributions.

Welcome, Kelly. It must be extra challenging to live a simple life with a couple of kids. What part of the country are you in? Glad to have you with us.

klunick
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Welcome. With 23+ years living the simple life I look forward to your contributions.
    Did not have much of a choice. Husband's company moved us to the country. We were both happy about it though but it did take some adjusting. Lots of wide open spaces. The "nearest" grocery store was so far away, I had to bring a cooler with me so nothing would melt on the way home!

klunick
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Welcome, Kelly. It must be extra challenging to live a simple life with a couple of kids. What part of the country are you in? Glad to have you with us.
    Kids have grown up living that way so it's not too bad. 19 year old is a clothes/shoes person but it's his money and he can spend it how he wants. I don't touch his room. Youngest is more like me and can survive with less stuff. I live in Southern MD/Solomons Island area.

Welcome Kelly! Yes kids tend to accumulate stuff. I would routinely get rid of things as the youngest outgrew toys and clothes.

Welcome!

klunick
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Welcome Kelly! Yes kids tend to accumulate stuff. I would routinely get rid of things as the youngest outgrew toys and clothes.
    My 19 year old is the shopaholic. He has sooo many clothes and shoes! It is ridiculous. But... he bought them with his own money from his job so I leave it alone. I do encourage him to "donate" clothes/shoes to his younger brother periodically. Only problem is that my youngest (16) is so not into clothes or shoes. He literally wears the same seven outfits each week!

I totally agree once they are adults you can’t touch their stuff unless you are married to them)

klunick
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I totally agree once they are adults you can’t touch their stuff unless you are married to them)
    Husband is so clueless about all the stuff I have gotten rid of that belonged to him. He even had notebooks/textbooks from college.... and he is in his 50's!! When I was going through stuff in our closet, I found camping stuff that he bought when we first got married in 1997 with the intention of going camping. We have never gone camping!!

Thread Information