Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 30 too late to turn your life around?

Is 30 too late to turn your life around?

I'm 30. Now, I have tried to look at
    30 different career-paths. Most of
    the jobs I'm interested in/capable of
    are low-income with the exception of
    computer-support. To make matters worse,
    I'm stuck in Los Angeles where you
    can't survive on less than $3,000/month.

These were my interests/strenghts:

- Barista at Coffee-Bean: earns $1,900 to $2,000/month
    - Thai Massage-Therapy: $2,300/month plus
    - Teacher's Assistant
    - Library Assistant
    - Veterinary Assistant
    - Math-tutoring (self-employment)
    - Computer-Support: $2,500/month or more.
    ________

My questions are:

a) Isn't the idea that long-term stability
    comes first? Then salary, then job-satisfaction?

b) Can you rank my career-options from most to
    least stable?!? What do you think of my choices?

c) I was told I can rent a room in someone else's
    home for $500/month, but is that really sustainable?
    _______

I need a lot of help! I want
    to be successful. Advice Please

You should go to your local unemployment office where each state has a computer program that will give you the job outlook, pay, etc for your local area. This is what I used to help our clients that were looking for work. They make the program so easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow-Flame Mystic View Post
    a) Isn't the idea that long-term stability
    comes first? Then salary, then job-satisfaction?
    Do you think this life is a rehearsal for your next life?

Do you think once all this job stuff is taken care of that you get a "do over" and can have a fulfilling and rewarding life?

NO.

But suppose if the question was "is 40 too late?" (talking about work), well there is often a way, but it would be frankly REALLY hard if you were 40 and had no work experience etc. But 30 is a lot younger as far as such things go.

If the question is "is it better to be working, even if you have to live at home because it doesn't pay enough to live off of?". Then YES, it's better to be working than not, to have work experience etc., EVEN IF it's part-time, as long as you can get a place to stay somehow (either continuing to live at home or the $500 room). I don't recommend homelessness as that can be really destructive (tons of homeless straight out die every year on the streets of L.A.).

You really need to talk to people who ACTUALLY WORK in these jobs. Like most people on this board I don't know anything about most of these jobs and I'm not going to pretend I do. I work in the software field mostly database development focused.

But maybe some of these jobs have potential to turn into careers which would definitely pay enough to live off. For instance if you were able to get a teacher's assistant job, even if it was part-time, and you went to school to become a teacher at the same time while living at home or whatever (are you able to do well in school?) you could eventually become a teacher and teachers earn enough to live off of. But I don't want to tell you "become a teacher" because I have no idea if the job market for teachers (in L.A. or elsewhere) is good or bad. I just want to say that jobs can sometimes be seen as first steps on the way to better jobs later.
    Trees don't grow on money

The job market is local. I know here which jobs would be better but that’s no help to you. I think you want others to do the work for you. Once you have looked up the outlook and wages locally you can tell us what is the best path.

klunick
    I turned a two day temp job into a 25 year (so far!) career. I would suggest going to a temp agency to seek employment. They can put you in different jobs to get an idea of what you might like or be good at. Don't limit yourself to what you "think" you'd be good at. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I would be working for a Police Department for the last 25 years. Think outside the box!!!

Quote Originally Posted by klunick View Post
    I turned a two day temp job into a 25 year (so far!) career. I would suggest going to a temp agency to seek employment. They can put you in different jobs to get an idea of what you might like or be good at. Don't limit yourself to what you "think" you'd be good at. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I would be working for a Police Department for the last 25 years. Think outside the box!!!
    what a great story, thank you for sharing it!

Quote Originally Posted by klunick View Post
    I agree with Tybee--great story and great advice, klunick! I think it's such a great story, because that's what worked for me, too! Started out as a temp, took a low-level job at one of the companies I temped for just to get health insurance for my family, and 5 years later, at age 46 went out on a limb and became a professional in that field, with NO inkling before that temp job that this was ever something I'd be interested in or good at.

So it's never too late, and sometimes too much analysis without actually getting out there can put you on the wrong path. There's a lot to be said for being open to whatever the Universe is telling you, and giving 100% to whatever you're doing at the moment.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

There is no magic to a successful life.
    a) Is there such a thing in 2020? Stability? I could say that being a Registered Nurse is a very stable career/income. But that doesn't interest you. Job satisfaction is internal. Personally, job satisfaction is #1 in my book. Without it, life is not very enjoyable but instead, stressful.

b) Your choices will not get you out independent in your region. But you already know that. What do I think? It doesn't really matter-not my life. Do be aware that massage therapists don't work forever. Many have to quit by 50 d/t chronic elbow/forearm pain.

c) Only you can answer that. When you don't own, you can lose it any day. Do I know of people who rent a room as their home? Yes, and it works for them.

I echo others' recommendation that you go to the local employment office and get some help. You need to build a whole life, employment is just a piece of it.

Yppej
    No it is not too late. A woman started a new career at my company at age 50. She had never used a computer before.

Thread Information