Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is 30 too late to turn your life around?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I am your age, happystuff, and I think it is really exciting when someone our age goes out and gets a job and makes up income that has been lost! Way to go!
    I totally agree. Good for you!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thanks. We'll see how it goes.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Update on potential, additional part time job.... got everything done that needed doing. Filled out all the papers, took all the medical tests needed and just got the results back. Need to hand them in, but with the closings taking place, not sure when/how that will happen. Waiting for one last government check to be completed and I should be good to go! Again, "time" will tell if and/or when any of this will actually come to fruition. Fingers still crossed. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Update on potential, additional part time job.... got everything done that needed doing. Filled out all the papers, took all the medical tests needed and just got the results back. Need to hand them in, but with the closings taking place, not sure when/how that will happen. Waiting for one last government check to be completed and I should be good to go! Again, "time" will tell if and/or when any of this will actually come to fruition. Fingers still crossed. LOL.
    Great news, good luck!

Thanks, Tybee.

Yes, its' all good. Good luck.
    Trees don't grow on money

I've got two words for you. 48 DAYS.
    Dan Miller has a podcast on on weekly called "48 days to the work you love." He is a career coach with an interesting story. He was raised by Conservative Mennonites(similar to Amish- drive horse and buggy, outside toilet, etc.) in Ohio. His father was bi-vocational, preacher/farmer and Dan was expected to take over his father's farm when he grew up. Dan got hold of a 45 RPM single called "The Strangest Secret" by Earl Nightingale' he hid in under his mattress so his parents wouldn't find it and listened to it when they weren't around. It convinced him that he could change his circumstances by changing his attitude. Wanting to escape the farm, he attended Ohio State University and majored in psychology. He went on to get his masters, then moved to California to work as a psychologist. He got tire of "listening to rich kids whine about their problems", so he quit his job and doubled his salary by helping a friend of his at a used car lot.
    In the late 80s he got involved in an investment that went south, and ended up being in the red for somewhere around $400,000-$600,000. Having been raised to always be responsible financially he took 14 years to pay back every dollar he had borrowed or convinced friends to invest in the deal. While all this was going one he started a class held at his church geared towards people for finding jobs and what career is best for oneself. He conducted his class for 4 years, and the demand for additional information and handouts grew so much that he put it all into a book. The book is in it's 4th edition and is called "48 Days to the Work and Life You Love."
    The best way I know how to describe Dan Miller is this: though I've never met him he's the only person I've encountered via online or through podcasts that I would trust enough to give him the keys to my property to watch if I went on vacation, or even to watch my family if necessary. I've come to trust the man that much. Of course it doesn't hurt that I've been listening to him for over 10 years now.
    Even if a person isn't looking for a career change, listening to Dan is really uplifting for a person. In these time where everything on Facebook or anywhere else online is negative, Dan is eternally optimistic, though not overly.
    His podcast is "48 Days to the Work You Love" and his book is "48 Days to the Work and Life You Love". I can't recommend him enough, and this has been an unpaid endorsement.

As for 30 being too late to change careers, or even 40, I'm 62 and transition now into a new career. As long as we breath there's hope!

klunick,
    Did you work for the same company for that 25 years? I ask because my entire life has been spent as a temp worker. The number of jobs(not companies) I have held is in the area of 180, and that's over a 43 year period.

Welcome to the forum, Coldcash! Sounds like you could have some interesting stories to tell.

I hope Rainbow sees your post. I know (s)he hasn't responded to this thread at all and has typically not responded to other similar threads posted. Sure could use some direction, though.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information