Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: The most interesting thing about you

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Gardn, I am confused about why your husband can’t retire. Do you keep your money separate?
    We do not keep our money separate. Our investment funds however are all my savings as he works for the state so his entire tax deferral is required to be there-hence we know who earned what savings. He wants BIG stuff out of retirement that will take a LOT of money so is willing to work longer to get it. Plus he made minimum wage until 1993 so he's a bit behind his investment goals.

Once he retires we will go through money very quickly for about 10 years (as long as we are physically able to walk/hike for hours. 7 of our grandparents all made it to or past 88 (my GMs were each 94). We are just 58 and have to plan for a 30y retirement minimum or 94 so we don't become wards of the state.

Also, he is thoroughly enjoying his work. He is in IT. In April he became chief Security officer for his office. He is loving it and is getting a lot of support for education and certifications that are beneficial.

If he were unhappy at work, we would regroup, reevaluate, consult with our financial adviser about projected possibilities and move forward. It is entirely up to him whether we 'downgrade' the retirement intentions.

G, I am always interested in how couples handle finances. Thanks for explaining. Interesting that he has expensive plans but I see nothing wrong with that. Some years we spent between 8-14k on vacations. We can’t do that every year. We are definitely traveling because I am 5 years older at 65 and don’t want to have any regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Tradd does not have my permission to do cave diving. Ever.

i worry about her like a mom. The scuba diving is bad enough.
    Really? Thank you! Thatís sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I like to say I peaked at 19...
    way to go jane!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    G, I am always interested in how couples handle finances. Thanks for explaining. Interesting that he has expensive plans but I see nothing wrong with that. Some years we spent between 8-14k on vacations. We can’t do that every year. We are definitely traveling because I am 5 years older at 65 and don’t want to have any regrets.
    I have no issue with the expensive plans either. I am grateful for his support in my request to retire in July. Dude is a keeper!

So am curious what are your husband’s dreams? I love traveling so very interested. Where does he want to go?

klunick
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Sounds like a narcissist family dynamic and your husband is the scapegoat. They are really resentful and success.
    Narcissist doesn't even come close to describing them... and my Father in law was a Pastor!! I could understand them helping the sister out when she was drinking but she has been sober for almost 20 years and still lives with them. She also acts like she is still 13. Doesn't help around the house, doesn't pay rent, complains about dinner nightly. I would have to bite my tongue every time we'd go down for a visit. I pretty much wrote them off when they lied about why they couldn't come to our oldest's HS graduation. They claimed they had an event they NEEDED to attend but we later found out that the event happened several weeks after my son's graduation. And to make matters worse, this Christmas, my oldest drove 10 hours in one day to spend the holiday with them and all they did was trash his Dad. Son was livid when he got home because he basically wasted Christmas because of them. We do Christmas big at our house and he missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Two claims to fame: I once killed (two witnesses) a fly middair with a dishtowel snap. I also hit a bullseye shooting a bow and arrow blindfolded. (about 8 witnesses)
    One other....my dad was one of the original LE officers searching for DB Cooper....he had to leave Thanksgiving dinner to go out.
    Love the DB Cooper reference. He has always held some fascination for me as for many others.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

This is such a neat thread!

As for me, one thing that people might find interesting is that, as a theatre major, I spent a semester studying at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London. I also worked at NBC, and while there, got to work in the NBC production offices at the 1976 Democratic and Republic National Conventions. One time I had to greet then-candidate Jimmy Carter at his limo and take him up to Studio 6B for an interview. All the small talk I invented in my head cleared out, though, when I found myself utterly intimidated by his Secret Service agents, who all seemed to be about 7 feet tall. I did get to meet him and shake his hand, though.

In my work at NBC, I also typed up original Saturday Night Live contracts for Gilda Radner and Chevy Chase
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine that’s very cool.

Thread Information