Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The most interesting thing about you

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So am curious what are your husband’s dreams? I love traveling so very interested. Where does he want to go?
    Travel-fine hotels, rental cars, fine eateries. (Our camping days are over). He is currently considering a Glacier/Banff vaca. $300 is the starting point with the simple motor lodge being $200 in Glacier. So travel can easily be $600 plus daily. And that is today's rates.

Woodworking is EXPENSIVE! He is very sparing using a $120 piece of wood right now (this is not a big piece). He'd like to do more work with those pieces rather than a smidge in a project. Can you say $2k cutting board? But it will last 200 years. He doesn't have some of the priciest toys yet.

He is an avid cycler. Great bikes are well over $10k and avid cyclers don't have 1.

Downhill skiing. Cost effective right here near the cabin and we both love it. Traveling for it? Plan on $400/day for the 2 JUST for skiing costs and food service at resorts.

These are his primary interests.

That IS cool, Catherine!

Reminded me of another "dad" story---when St. Helens erupted, he got to meet Jimmy Carter. Dad was really sick (nerves, exhaustion) that day and told us he almost barfed right on him at one point.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

G, the hotels in national Parks are insane. We paid 75/night at the grand Tetons just for a RV spot. Our camping days are also over. We never spend much time in our hotel room so we don’t stay in fancy places unless I get a deal. In Miami I got a $300 room for 150 with all fees included through hotels.com. For our Europe trip I have been able to book the first half at around 100/night. Still have to book Ireland and Scotland which may prove more challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    G, the hotels in national Parks are insane. We paid 75/night at the grand Tetons just for a RV spot. Our camping days are also over. We never spend much time in our hotel room so we don’t stay in fancy places unless I get a deal. In Miami I got a $300 room for 150 with all fees included through hotels.com. For our Europe trip I have been able to book the first half at around 100/night. Still have to book Ireland and Scotland which may prove more challenging.
    And the goal is to go all of them! We've been to a whopping 5 so far. Yes, camping. I've been to 2 that he has not so 7 for me.

Gardnr,

Can you adopt me???

Quote Originally Posted by whisperingpines View Post
    Gardnr, Can you adopt me???
    That's what my nieces/nephews say

I don't know if it is the most interesting thing about me, but I was a competitive figure skater through my childhood and into my teenage years in the 1970's. I never went anywhere with it as I tended to get last (or close to) at all the competitions I was entered in. I gave it up rebelliously when I was 14 because I felt like a total weirdo compared to what the neighborhood kids were doing at the time. I then became a total stoner to make up for lost time, and in college I got into the punk scene and ended up shaving my head at one point.

Yeah, I think I have many interesting things about me and have certainly packed a lot into my 58 years!

I couldn't think of anything, but I finally came up with something!
    When I was in the 6th grade, one of my teachers recruited me and 4 other kids to be "guinea pigs" for a friend who was doing a study at MIT. We were some of the smarter kids in her class, and I had a stay-at-home mom with a car, which probably was my primary attraction, lol. So we went to MIT every day for about 6 weeks during the summer and played with computers with a bunch of professors and grad students. This was in 1970 or thereabouts, so we were probably some of the first people of our vintage to interact with computers! We did fun and silly stuff and they also showed us how to use a bongo board (I can balance on a bongo board forever) and stilts. It was all fun and games for us, but in retrospect, this is the guy who was heading the program: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seymour_Papert. We were in the presence of greatness! We made a contribution to the early science of Artificial Intelligence, and some of the fundamental computer logic I learned then stood me in good stead in college and later in the workplace. I and others my age were around before computers and cellphones were common, and my stint at MIT helped me make the transition more easily - plus it was wicked fun!
    Speaking of the presence of greatness, I hung out with this guy for awhile when I was kid. He exposed me to the Palestinian point of view on the Middle East situation, and I will always be grateful to him for helping to expand my horizons. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawwaz_Tuqan

Catherine: So cool about the SNL contracts!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I couldn't think of anything, but I finally came up with something!
    When I was in the 6th grade, one of my teachers recruited me and 4 other kids to be "guinea pigs" for a friend who was doing a study at MIT. We were some of the smarter kids in her class, and I had a stay-at-home mom with a car, which probably was my primary attraction, lol. So we went to MIT every day for about 6 weeks during the summer and played with computers with a bunch of professors and grad students. This was in 1970 or thereabouts, so we were probably some of the first people of our vintage to interact with computers! We did fun and silly stuff and they also showed us how to use a bongo board (I can balance on a bongo board forever) and stilts. It was all fun and games for us, but in retrospect, this is the guy who was heading the program: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seymour_Papert. We were in the presence of greatness! We made a contribution to the early science of Artificial Intelligence, and some of the fundamental computer logic I learned then stood me in good stead in college and later in the workplace. I and others my age were around before computers and cellphones were common, and my stint at MIT helped me make the transition more easily - plus it was wicked fun!
    Speaking of the presence of greatness, I hung out with this guy for awhile when I was kid. He exposed me to the Palestinian point of view on the Middle East situation, and I will always be grateful to him for helping to expand my horizons. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawwaz_Tuqan
    That is really interesting to read.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

Thread Information