Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meghan and Harry

Meghan and Harry

Any thoughts about these two stepping back from the duties of royalty?

I think that it must be hard to be an also-ran subject to the intense public media interest. Can they successfully step back?
    Do you think Princess Di’s experiences were a factor?
    Any advice for them?
    Frankly I think the public wants the glamour pageantry- from the royalty or movie/sports star or excessive wealth creating fabulous mansions etc.

I enjoyed the ritual and pageantry of British royalty but am not a monarchist.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Who gives a hoot about the German usurpers?

Harry has no future other than to be quiet and open pagents or stand behind his brother. He is not even the spare anymore. I think he is sixth in line for the throne now. Megan has even less to do.

He married a professional woman who needs an occupation. So they both are looking to give meaning to their lives and probably a freer life than wandering between houses in England. The tabloids are also a big issue over there.

Not sure how they are going to "earn an income" but that is their issue.

I read that they set up a website to sell items. If they don’t perform royal duties I doubt they will continue to get their big royal allowance. Should be interesting.

What duties are they stepping away from, exactly? Being on display at various events? Mascots for a sort of national amusement park? Presiding over various colorful rituals?

And what is their new role? Some sort of famous for being famous internet influencer thing?

klunick
    I can't decide if Harry is using Megan as an excuse to leave the Royal family because it has never been something he wanted since he was "just the spare" his entire life. I don't understand how Megan couldn't understand from the day she started dating Harry that her life would forever be under a microscope. Diana was a prime example for that. She made the choice to marry into the Royal family and is now complaining about everything that it entails.

I never liked Meghan. Has nothing to do with race, before anyone brings that up. She has none of the class Kate has. I really disliked the political BS at the wedding. Not the place for it.

She was already a celebrity so she was no stranger to media attention. She had to have known what she was getting into.

She thought she was going to come into a hundreds of years old institution and be progressive?

She’s got Harry’s balls in her purse. The sex must have been pretty good.

I listen to BBC Radio online daily. The thing people keep coming back to is that H&M did this without the Queen’s knowledge. Apparently she was blindsided by this.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I read that they set up a website to sell items. If they don’t perform royal duties I doubt they will continue to get their big royal allowance. Should be interesting.
    I don’t believe much of their income is derived from the taxpayers. Harry gets economic outpatient care from his mother’s estate and his father. But their houses and travel and security are likely a huge expense paid for by the taxpayers.

The duties they are stepping away from are attending public events, sponsoring charities and representing them.

I think it’s fine if they’re doing this why Not? But I didn’t know they did it without informing the queen that seems stupid.

klunick
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I never liked Meghan. Has nothing to do with race, before anyone brings that up. She has none of the class Kate has. I really disliked the political BS at the wedding. Not the place for it.

She was already a celebrity so she was no stranger to media attention. She had to have known what she was getting into.

She thought she was going to come into a hundreds of years old institution and be progressive?

She’s got Harry’s balls in her purse. The sex must have been pretty good.

I listen to BBC Radio online daily. The thing people keep coming back to is that H&M did this without the Queen’s knowledge. Apparently she was blindsided by this.
    Honestly I don't think many people had even heard about her show before she started dating Harry. At least nobody I know.

Oh dear, please let's not turn this into a diminishing of a person. That is happening enough on social media and scandal rags. We don't know either of them enough to judge.

I was examining the impact of such a step in terms of the role of royalty. Some of the other royal lines have reduced their numbers, gone low-key such as Denmark, I believe. I have read reports about Charles examining how to reduce the number of those on the taxpayer's dime or some variation of that reasoning.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information