Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What I can't live without

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    All of the above. These poor folks lost everything that night, the night before a major holiday.

It was heartwarming to see the whole community pull together to help them re-equip over the next week.
    Wonderful story... reminds me of a time decades ago when DH and I were in the crapper and so DH had second job as a bartender in Greenwich, Ct which was about an hour south of where we were living. On one late night drive home through the northern Westchester towns, he passed a fire up on a hill, and he noticed the house was on fire! So he drove up the driveway and there were no emergency vehicles there yet and the family was frantically trying to get as many belongings out of the house as they could. He asked the owner how he could help and the the owner said, "Please grab the paintings!!" So DH ran in and made several trips rescuing artwork from the home.

At that point, the firetrucks finally arrived, and then the police. When DH saw the police car he freaked out--we didn't have money for car insurance. He was afraid the police would for some reason ask for his insurance and registration so he silently slipped away and came home.

To this day we laugh because we can imagine the owner looking around for the "angel" that arrived out of nowhere to save some of their precious possessions and seeing that he had "flown away." It must have made for a good family story.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

klunick
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I went back into a burning house once to save the One Thing that mattered. It was a little kid's favorite toy, and it was clear we weren't going to be able to save his home, and this is what the parents said would make a difference.

Attachment 3085
    I accidentally set our kitchen on fire in 2000. Tried to fondue and was heating up the oil. Next thing I know, everything above the stove was engulfed. Husband and I grabbed fire extinguishers and put it out. Called the Fire Department (volunteers) and they wouldn't come out because it was already put out. We just wanted them to make sure it wasn't still burning behind the walls. We had to get a new stove, new stove hood, new cabinets above the stove, and a couple new appliances like microwave and coffee maker that got ruined from the extinguishers. Never tried to fondue again!

1. Computer/Internet
    2. Smart Phone
    3. My Bicycle
    4. Diet Coke
    5. Comfortable shoes (my Nikes)

Thread Information