Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What I can't live without

klunick

What I can't live without

Since the "most interesting" thread was so... well... interesting I thought about starting this one. What is the one thing (not person) you can't live without even though it is NOT helping with the goals of simple living? What is the one thing others have told you to get rid of but you are like "NO WAY!". Does it cost money that doesn't really need to be spent? Does it take up valuable space in your home that could be used for something else? I am really curious.

My one thing is my nutritional supplement Thrive. Costs about $200 a month for the three steps (four if you include the stuff that helps with not being a fruits and vegetables kind of person but need those added vitamins and minerals). I go back and forth literally every month when it's time to reorder. Why am I spending this money when it's not necessary. But a few days after I run out, I realize... it is necessary!! It helps with my gut health, my skin, my general mood, my tiredness, my energy level, etc. I get up at 2:30am and have over an hour commute to and from work. Without my Thrive, I am sluggish all day and just don't feeling my best. Plus it is helping me maintain my 60 lbs weight loss even though my last daily walk was in May. It helps me snack less during the day which has always been an issue with me when I get home from work.

So, what is your one thing that you can't live without???

There is no one thing. I love, love, love my house, my dog and garden. Flying out of my house due to a fire, I would grab my cellphone with the photos, contact list, and needed information.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

klunick
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    There is no one thing. I love, love, love my house, my dog and garden. Flying out of my house due to a fire, I would grab my cellphone with the photos, contact list, and needed information.
    Well, in that perspective of life or death, I would pick my cats but only because I could never live with myself leaving them behind. I actually did set fire to my kitchen in 2000 and the only thing I could think of was to get my dog, cat, and ferrets out of the house ASAP. I am sure my husband would have rather me think to help extinguish the fire. HaHa!!

Because of my recent Purge, I can remember as if I were a trauma victim the details of almost every decision about things I battled with myself about--whether I could or couldn't live without them. The one unnecessary thing I can't live without, but it takes up too much space in my small house, is my beloved great-aunt's Governor Winthrop secretary. She had it in her home at least for as long as I can remember--and since I was 70 years younger than she was, I'm assuming she had it for a pretty long time. When she knew she was going to the hospital for the last time and wasn't returning, she took out her drivers license and social security card from one of the little drawers and placed them neatly on the writing surface of the secretary so we would have no trouble finding them.

I've kept it ever since she died in 1973. It's not my decorating style, it's big and cumbersome, my husband put up a weak fight for me to get rid of it, but I can't. I use those pigeon holes and little drawers, and I use the big drawers for important papers, gift wrap and cards, and some memorabilia.

DH lost the fight. The family knows it as "Aunt Florence's desk" and it's staying.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm looking around the room and imagining the stuff around the house and nothing if "jumping" out at me. LOL. I know I have some things that mean a lot -sentimental - but nothing is saying "You can't live without me!". I'll have to think on this a bit.

Aunt Florence's desk sounds like a wonderful piece!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Hmmm, this is a second thread I really can't participate in (the other being most interesting things about you- I don't have anything, I'm not particularly interesting which is why in conversation I'm always asking the other person questions). I don't have any physical objects that I can't live without, but when I saw the title to this thread, my immediate thought was COFFEE.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I don't have any physical objects that I can't live without, but when I saw the title to this thread, my immediate thought was COFFEE.

To be honest, herbgeek, the first thing I thought of was my coffee pot! But that was such an obvious answer, I didn't go with it. .
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Hmm. It's a tie for me.

One is a Plycraft replica of the famous Eames Lounge Chair. I love Mid-Century Modern (loved it before it blew up and will love it now that it has been declared passé once again) and most of the furniture I have in the house is MCM. I found this chair at a Goodwill store and yoinked the price tag from the ottoman as soon as I saw the staffer bring out the chair. It's an inexact replica, of course, but it was in great shape and it cost about 1/15 of what new Herman Miller versions cost. Sold!

Unfortunately, it's kind of big, so it really doesn’t fit in the living room with the other furniture we have there. So it's been relegated to the one room in the house that is still "mine"; a room in which I don't really like to spend much time because it's way off the beaten track. I should sell it to someone who'll sit in it more than a couple of times a year. But I just can't bring myself to do it. Maybe when we remodel the living room there will be room for it.

The other item is my cabinet (Danish teak, of course) that contains a bunch of cookbooks I rarely look at. I should cull the cookbooks but I'd find a place for the cabinet. It's probably as old as I am and bears the marks of a life that long, but it doesn't deserve to get turned out early just because it's not as busy as it once was!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    My tablet.

klunick
    Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Hmmm, this is a second thread I really can't participate in (the other being most interesting things about you- I don't have anything, I'm not particularly interesting which is why in conversation I'm always asking the other person questions). I don't have any physical objects that I can't live without, but when I saw the title to this thread, my immediate thought was COFFEE.
    I am sure if you ask people what they find interesting about you, they will have lots of stuff. I personally don't find it interesting that I married a guy three months after meeting him but everyone else does! That was just the way it happened and just seemed like the thing to do for some unknown reason. But it worked out.

Thread Information