Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What I can't live without

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Hmmm, this is a second thread I really can't participate in (the other being most interesting things about you- I don't have anything, I'm not particularly interesting which is why in conversation I'm always asking the other person questions). I don't have any physical objects that I can't live without, but when I saw the title to this thread, my immediate thought was COFFEE.
    +1. I guess mine would be my pets, but they will die much too soon and then I will be without them until the next ones come into my life.

We were talking about this the other day. There really isn't anything in the house that I care about that couldn't be replaced with the exception of memorabilia almost all in the form of pictures which can be scanned. Our TV's are older as are the laptops. My only jewelry is what I wear daily. We pretty much purged much of our stuff right along with our parents when we sold their stuff. We travel often and have house sitters not really for the house but for the dogs and to some extent the koi and additional wildlife (attracting and repelling them). We are minimalists on the inside but the yard is anything but. Love it, but it is a lot of work that some day we won't be able to do and I don't see longevity in paying somebody else to do it. I love sitting out in the spa every night before bed looking at the stars and watching the deer bed down for the night. I can't imagine a backyard where I would see or hear signs of other people. It will be a sad day when we have to give that up.

The one optional bill, that gets used for entertainment, how to lessons, point of contact, etc. The internet.
    I could get it for free, by using the library computers, but that limits time on, the available times, and I don't know what else, because the around $70 a month I pay for it seems worthwhile.

Some would probably say cell phone, because many people do use that for the internet, but the above price, is around what I pay a YEAR for my dumb phone, and in a lot of respects, I would still rather have the home phone.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    The one optional bill, that gets used for entertainment, how to lessons, point of contact, etc. The internet.
    I could get it for free, by using the library computers, but that limits time on, the available times, and I don't know what else, because the around $70 a month I pay for it seems worthwhile.

Some would probably say cell phone, because many people do use that for the internet, but the above price, is around what I pay a YEAR for my dumb phone, and in a lot of respects, I would still rather have the home phone.
    The internet and my laptop - I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by klunick View Post
    Sounds like asking a "simple living forum" about stuff they can't live without was pointless. Defeats the whole purpose of minimalism, doesn't it??
    Well, your OP did list several options:

What is the one thing (not person) you can't live without even though it is NOT helping with the goals of simple living? What is the one thing others have told you to get rid of but you are like "NO WAY!". Does it cost money that doesn't really need to be spent? Does it take up valuable space in your home that could be used for something else?
    My chair and my cookbooks take up space I'm sure we'd use otherwise. As furniture it's worth more than a few bucks so I've kind of got money tied up in some things from which I'm getting very little use.

I wouldn't say I couldn't live without these pieces -- I wouldn't spend one extra second in a burning house to save them -- but they're items I appreciate having even though they really don't fit into a simple lifestyle (n.b., simple living isn't necessarily minimalist living). I can live without this stuff -- but, regardless of lots of reasons to have this stuff out of my life, I don't want that to happen now.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I wouldn't spend one extra second in a burning house to save them
    I went back into a burning house once to save the One Thing that mattered. It was a little kid's favorite toy, and it was clear we weren't going to be able to save his home, and this is what the parents said would make a difference.

toysave.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I went back into a burning house once to save the One Thing that mattered. It was a little kid's favorite toy, and it was clear we weren't going to be able to save his home, and this is what the parents said would make a difference.

toysave.jpg

Special needs kid, Autistic spectrum, or was the kid young enough that they were thinking about normalcy, until they got back on their feet?

Ugh! Getting up at 2:30!!!!!

For me - my one thing is my iPhone. While I argue that I need it for work, which is true, I’d still not give it up if that wasn’t the case.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Special needs kid, Autistic spectrum, or was the kid young enough that they were thinking about normalcy, until they got back on their feet?
    All of the above. These poor folks lost everything that night, the night before a major holiday.

It was heartwarming to see the whole community pull together to help them re-equip over the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I went back into a burning house once to save the One Thing that mattered.
    I'm glad you were able to do that (and successfully on all counts)! You were dressed far more appropriately for the task than I would be.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information