Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is anyone here living auto free?

It is much easier to live auto free if your body is able. For some, including myself at some points in my life, walking to grocery etc, is physically impossible. Some people are able to stay mobile and not housebound because they have cars. This is true even if they have walkers and wheelchairs and oxygen tanks and ankles and knees that do not work correctly.

And God bless those who can walk distances and bike distances and carry groceries, etc. It's just not feasible for everyone.

When one of our cars die we will be fine with one. There is uber.

We were carfree for eight years while our children were young. We hauled them everywhere in a bike trailer, and then graduated to a family tandem and eventually a family triple.

When our oldest got into a charter school way out on the edge of town, we did buy a car.

Personally, it may have been worth it to help them get through their middle school/high school years, but it was much more rewarding to be carfree. And the car is a money pit - last year we paid $6000 for various suspension, oil cooler, etc. repairs. The year before that, we paid $2000 for the computer on the transmission to be replaced. When that went out, the car simply wouldn't go. We still bicycle almost everywhere, but my wife likes the option of being able to drive after those eight years of not having the option.

I'm ready to let the car die and pass it along to public radio, but I keep nudging it along.

DW and I share one car.

I made a recommendation in December to reduce the miles we drive it each month. It is not a "burning desire" for her. The 1959 film, Signal 30, shocked me in "Drivers Education", back in the day. I wonder if anybody has made a shockumentary like that for retired baby boomers ...

Oh goodness, don't get me started on those driver's ed movies.
    I guess they could show them at the over 55 party room at Sun City.

Thread Information