Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone here living auto free?

It is much easier to live auto free if your body is able. For some, including myself at some points in my life, walking to grocery etc, is physically impossible. Some people are able to stay mobile and not housebound because they have cars. This is true even if they have walkers and wheelchairs and oxygen tanks and ankles and knees that do not work correctly.

And God bless those who can walk distances and bike distances and carry groceries, etc. It's just not feasible for everyone.

When one of our cars die we will be fine with one. There is uber.

We were carfree for eight years while our children were young. We hauled them everywhere in a bike trailer, and then graduated to a family tandem and eventually a family triple.

When our oldest got into a charter school way out on the edge of town, we did buy a car.

Personally, it may have been worth it to help them get through their middle school/high school years, but it was much more rewarding to be carfree. And the car is a money pit - last year we paid $6000 for various suspension, oil cooler, etc. repairs. The year before that, we paid $2000 for the computer on the transmission to be replaced. When that went out, the car simply wouldn't go. We still bicycle almost everywhere, but my wife likes the option of being able to drive after those eight years of not having the option.

I'm ready to let the car die and pass it along to public radio, but I keep nudging it along.

DW and I share one car.

I made a recommendation in December to reduce the miles we drive it each month. It is not a "burning desire" for her. The 1959 film, Signal 30, shocked me in "Drivers Education", back in the day. I wonder if anybody has made a shockumentary like that for retired baby boomers ...

Oh goodness, don't get me started on those driver's ed movies.
    I guess they could show them at the over 55 party room at Sun City.

I consider myself a bicyclist for transportation, car is for if I am lazy. I have logged 550 mile so far this year in MI on my bike(s). I have driven gosh not sure but not much, I have a hybrid Honda. This is a choice I made and have made over and over for the last gosh 15 years. Something always comes up that makes me have to drive, last year was dad in nursing home 45 minutes away. (he passed) I live 2 miles from grandchild I care for daily. I have a very nice tow behind trailer a Burley. I made a bag of 6 cups of dried peas and microwave them for 4 minutes, bundle the 18 month old up, cover in blanket, put peas under her seat, secure the zip cover, turn on the lights and we are off! She is toasty warm. My threshold is about 15-20 degrees with wind, then I drive her her home.
    I fully believe no car is do able if one lives in a city that is hospitable for biking. I have in past lived in county and it is a plan to ride 10 miles to grocery store for sure. I now live in a quaint little city where I can hope on bike and ride everywhere, we choose this location two years ago for this reason.
    Husband not a chance seen on bike!

I've been car-free for nearly a year, as some anti-theft locking device activated out of the blue and I'm sure my battery is dead at this point. It's a hassle to get it to a dealership for service as you can't ride along in the tow truck (COVID), so I've just put it out of my mind. I should try to arrange service before I need to get the vaccine. I can't say I've missed it much...

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    The 1959 film, Signal 30, shocked me in "Drivers Education", back in the day.
    And now you can watch it again on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VKOoenqbOk

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    And now you can watch it again on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VKOoenqbOk
    I was so traumatized by the cattle or whatever animal carnage there was that I barely recovered. It may be coincidence, but I've never had a driving accident.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    It's true that I am now making better money than I have in years. I probably could afford a lower end very used foreign car.

No Thank You. Who knows what's next for the American economy? Under this roof we don't need the constant bills a car would create. Just no. Money much better saved!!! Though this is easy for me to say living in Central Phoenix with decent transit access - that's also part of the puzzle. Rob

Thread Information