Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E85

E85

Gas prices in my area of the Chicago burbs have gone up to $4.40 for regular at some stations. I’m giving E85 another try. I got it for $3.50 on Tuesday locally and also used it for part of my trip home Monday (got it in Indiana). I have a 2018 Ford Escape that is marked E85 on the gas cap, so my vehicle has no issues with it. At this point, no decrease in MPG and the Scuba Sherpa runs like usual. I’ll report back on how this experiment goes. I realize E85 is most widely available in the Midwest (it’s 51-83% ethanol from corn).

I've never heard of E85. I wonder if it is even offered anywhere in my area and if any of our family cars could use it if it was.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I've never heard of E85. I wonder if it is even offered anywhere in my area and if any of our family cars could use it if it was.
    How old is your car? It will say E85 on the gas cap or flex fuel, or check the manual. It has to be specifically noted.

It’s much make available in the Midwest. There does appear to be some loss of mpg, but it’s less noticeable around town than on long trips, but it’s so much cheaper here that I’m still coming out ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    How old is your car? It will say E85 on the gas cap or flex fuel, or check the manual. It has to be specifically noted.

It’s much make available in the Midwest. There does appear to be some loss of mpg, but it’s less noticeable around town than on long trips, but it’s so much cheaper here that I’m still coming out ahead.
    Thanks. My car is a 2008. I'll have to have a look at the gas cap later. Maybe even pull out the manual.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Definitely check the owners' manual if you still have it. If you don't you can probably find the manual online. Mine, for my 2002 Honda Accord, is quite clear that I should not put anything with more than 10% ethanol in it. Random aside, it was amusing to me to read the manual calling anything stonger than 10% as "gasohol". I remember that term from back in the day but obviously no one calls it that now.

jp, wow! I do remember it being called gasohol

Frankly, with cars as old as both of you have, I doubt you’ll be able to use anything besides regular gas.

I wonder:

How many tax dollars in the form of subsidies/tax credits/... go into producing ethanol for fuel?

How much in the way of petrochemical-based fertilizer and fuels go into producing the corn and distilling the product?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I wonder:

How many tax dollars in the form of subsidies/tax credits/... go into producing ethanol for fuel?

How much in the way of petrochemical-based fertilizer and fuels go into producing the corn and distilling the product?
    My guess is whomever has the most lobbyists and donations to political candidates

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I wonder:

I have such a problem with biomass for fuel, unless it's individuals burning wood for home heating. For industrial purposes, how ironic is it that pristine land, topsoil, forests are ravaged in the name of keeping cars on the road and homes heated and air conditioned.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information