Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone here living auto free?

Yppej
    Do you have state inspections in Arizona? Or can you run a car into the ground?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Do you have state inspections in Arizona? Or can you run a car into the ground?
    Inspections for emissions, yes. Rob

Revisiting with my new trial at car free living sort of. My son walks and bikes everywhere as his wife has a car. He had a bad ankle break and 8 weeks cast and then rehab, so I gave him my car to get him to the shop. He seems to be logging a whooping 16 miles a week on it, ha. So I have been car free so to say, I have had zero issues as I bike anyhow, live 1/2 mile from grocery market, online order and transport granddaughter in a bike trailer. Husband drives and we go away on weekends on hiking or biking trips.
    So this was the ultimate test for me as I have tried car-free in one way or another many times. Can I/could I? Yes no problems. What I realized is living where I live with no form of public transportation would I feel stuck in one spot, Yes if I want to visit other locations besides my small dot in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    Revisiting with my new trial at car free living sort of. My son walks and bikes everywhere as his wife has a car. He had a bad ankle break and 8 weeks cast and then rehab, so I gave him my car to get him to the shop. He seems to be logging a whooping 16 miles a week on it, ha. So I have been car free so to say, I have had zero issues as I bike anyhow, live 1/2 mile from grocery market, online order and transport granddaughter in a bike trailer. Husband drives and we go away on weekends on hiking or biking trips.
    So this was the ultimate test for me as I have tried car-free in one way or another many times. Can I/could I? Yes no problems. What I realized is living where I live with no form of public transportation would I feel stuck in one spot, Yes if I want to visit other locations besides my small dot in the world.
    Wow, good for you on your trial run! Hope your son makes a smooth recovery.

My car is still disabled, and fixing it has become the new Impossible Task. Maybe I'll wait 'til it hits the two year mark.
    But I don't need to go anywhere...

One of the reasons I specifically chose Quebec City as my ultimate (so far, anyway :P ) early retirement destination is that it's incredibly pedestrian-friendly. (Especially compared to some of the other places I lived, such as Fort Worth or Las Vegas...)

I sold my car (a good ol' 2013 Kia Rio) a month after I quit my job in Toronto earlier this year, simply because there was no longer any need for it. Since then, I've needed a vehicle only twice: to move all my stuff to Quebec City, and to move Ikea furniture to my new apartment. Both times, a small Uhaul truck did the trick, and the grand total was much lower than a single month's worth of insurance + registration + cost of the parking spot, etc.

I'm somewhat of a nomad, so I understand that this approach is not for everyone. (I have it on good authority that most people enjoy staying in the same city for years - even decades. What a strange concept. :P ) But if you've got some wanderlust in you, consider moving to a town or a nice major city (so once again, not Fort Worth hahaha) where everything is within walking distance or there's reliable and efficient public transit.
    Earn more, spend less, invest the rest.
    www.letsretireyoung.com

I need my car. It’s the only place I can listen to jazz without being hassled.

I could probably come close between cycling and a little uber, but I have friends and family out of town, go fishing in the mountains occationally, and use the truck to haul things. Since covid I think my annual mileage is less than 5,000 a year. I might save a few bucks on insurance, but as little as I drive, getting rid of the car is sort of a mute point.

Hah! My 2018 Escape (bought new 3 years ago in January) has almost 72K miles on it. Even though I was employed for 4 months last year and then worked from home for 8 months, I drive a LOT to dive. Just replaced the original tires a few weeks ago at 70.5K miles. I have a 40 mile round trip daily commute. I love to drive. I’m in the far out burbs. Almost no public transit here, outside of dial a ride for seniors and the commuter trains to downtown Chicago.

Since retiring I only put about 4K miles a year in my car. It’s 13 years old with 63k miles. I am the third little old lady to own it.

Thread Information