Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now it's available even at yard sales.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Now it's available even at yard sales.....

I went to a yard sale yesterday one neighborhood over. I was picking through some boxes when I found a Louis Vuitton purse that at least looked real. They wanted $3 for it.....much cheaper even than what the fakes in Algodones cost.

So.....some internet searching found me an authenticator website where I was able to enter a date code on the seam of the bag to find out if it was real or not.

Findings? As fake as a Rolex for sale in Los Algodones on the street. I'm giving it to my Mom who always wanted an expensive purse. My point, though? Counterfeit goods are now available at yard sales - there must be an ocean of such goods out there. Rob

I thought you were going to say that they were selling pot!

Decades ago at the thrift store I picked up an ugly but just the right size handbag for a trip to Asia. I don’t carry handbags and dont understand why they hold fashionistas in thrall. A random woman on that trip asked me if the bag was “[insert a big name here.]” I told her I have no idea. Gads that bag was ugly. It was definitely a knock off because it was all beat up.

I don’t really have a point to my story it’s just that it is amazing how weird people are about these handbags.

Twice I have found a designer handbag in excellent condition at a thrift store.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I don’t really have a point to my story it’s just that it is amazing how weird people are about these handbags.
    I agree. It starts young, too. I had a 16-year old babysitter once, and she came to watch my kids with a Louis Vuitton bag. I pointed it out to her: "Wow--you're only 16 and you have a Louis Vuitton bag!" And she said "I like nice things. That's why a babysit." I thought that was so cute, actually. She wanted something expensive and she worked for it. But I would NEVER throw down a few hundred bucks on a status bag.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

klunick
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I agree. It starts young, too. I had a 16-year old babysitter once, and she came to watch my kids with a Louis Vuitton bag. I pointed it out to her: "Wow--you're only 16 and you have a Louis Vuitton bag!" And she said "I like nice things. That's why a babysit." I thought that was so cute, actually. She wanted something expensive and she worked for it. But I would NEVER throw down a few hundred bucks on a status bag.
    My oldest is the same way. Worked to buy nicer things than Mom was willing to pay for things. He even bought his own car! It is 2007 Corolla but it is in perfect condition and was well taken care of. The kid has more clothes, shoes, and accessories than the rest of us combined.

Why would they not be available at yard sales?
    LEO I know, used to regularly bust people selling fakes/copyrighted, material, etc. at swap meets.

I remember a boss I had once came into work with this huge bag. In my opinion, it was ugly and way too big. Apparently, it was a very expensive brand name bag that she bought for $2000 when she got mad at her dh. Her bag, her choice, her taste, but... I don't understand the appeal.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

The Birkin bag is like, what, $27,000? And women fight for the chance to buy one? Ugh.

If I were going to get into handbags I would buy a classic Chanel flap over bag. But then those are thousands of dollars secondhand so yeah that’s never gonna happen.

Much more concerned about the shape / pockets and weight of a bag than the style (hey I love leather but who wants to add an extra two pounds to what they're lugging around), but I did score a Baggallini for $2 - basically new with a broken zipper, I argued no one would want this. (except someone with a needle and thread, but apparently that never occurred to him.)

Thread Information