Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A House with Four Rooms

Geila

A House with Four Rooms

“There is an Indian proverb or axiom that says that everyone is a house with four rooms, a physical, a mental, an emotional and a spiritual. Most of us tend to live in one room most of the time but, unless we go into every room every day, even if only to keep it aired, we are not a complete person.”

--Rumer Godden

I read this a few days ago and it has stayed with me.

In which room do you spend most of your time? For me, it's mental, though I wish it were physical. I like the idea of walking through the different rooms daily to air them out, like a breeze on a summer day.

I like the imagery of that concept. When I think about it, I believe that I am becoming more spiritual, less emotional, as physical and mostly mental. I think that we change as we go through life and its peaks and valleys.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

What would a spiritual room visit look like? geila I love that picture.If I think about lilies in my next year’s garden, is that spiritual? I would call that more emotional. But I don’t know.

On New Year’s Day I was trying to download a couple novels by rumor Godden that I wanted to reread, but my library system’s digital collection did not have the two I wanted to read.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-12-20 at 10:18pm.

A spiritual room would be filled with light and joy where to take shadows that get obliterated when examined with the light. That is a profound thought to consider.
    Last edited by razz; 1-12-20 at 8:38pm. Reason: clarify thought
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    A spiritual room would be filled with light and joy where to take shadows that get obliterated when examined with the light. That is a profound thought to consider.
    Yes. Great question, IL

Also, maybe a spiritual room can be that inner place you go to when you meditate/pray/find inner silence, or when you experience in your soul the sacredness of life, or when you are experiencing that "sixth sense" of being an interconnected part of everything--not just the material world we know but also the Mystery beyond what we know--whether that's God, Higher Power, the Divine, the Universe, or the Unnameable One.

I love that spiritual room, but I do spend most of my time in the mental room.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

klunick
    It needs to be more spiritual but I would say physical for me. With my job processing crime scene evidence, I have learned to block out emotions and I am not really a deep thinker.

Yppej
    Mental, though I hit all the rooms.

To me, the mental and spiritual rooms are the same. I have one of those open floor plans that are currently so popular, haha. I spend more time in the mental space, but it is better balanced with time in the physical space since I left work.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I like the imagery of that concept. When I think about it, I believe that I am becoming more spiritual, less emotional, as physical and mostly mental. I think that we change as we go through life and its peaks and valleys.
    I agree with this. My main room changes with time, situations, etc. Right now... I think I am going between the mental and emotional rooms, trying to make more time/effort to get into the spiritual.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I would say I spend more time in my mental room also, but certainly at least go through the other rooms at some point during the day. The most dusty, unaired one would by my emotional room and I am sad about that, not by choice do I just barely stand in the door. Something blocks my way from going further.

Thank you Gella for posting this. I love the concept and I believe it will help to think of my life this way and do some work in all these rooms.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Thread Information