Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help in party planning please

Need help in party planning please

Whenever we have a holiday, I try to plan a luncheon or brunch or similar for those who are solo as I am. Those with partners are welcome but usually tied up with their spouse/family. No alcohol involved. Gradually my confidence in doing this type of activity is growing.

This year I would like to plan a 'Gal'entine Party for Friday, Feb 14 so need ideas please. Brainstorming is the goal of this thread.

Often my guests would like to contribute something to the event so I need to have a plan. I prefer a lunchtime event that extends into the afternoon especially for driving home in winter. I have the napkins already, lots of plates and quite happy to set up a cheese and cracker tray, tea and coffee.

What activities could i offer, theme to suggest, contribution to donate? If it can be simple, it would be much better. So far I have thought of a tea tasting party or a board games event after lunch or ???
    Help with suggestions appreciated.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I like to buy a tray of small deli sandwiches for this type of thing. If your guests play cards that’s fun.

Is your event a drop in event or does it start at a particular time where everyone needs to come at X o’clock? Do they sit around the table or do they sit in the living room area balancing plates on n their laps?

I think a game might be fun if it’s a game where the entire group participates. It really depends on how big the group is.

Sometimes it is hard to corral the group to play a game when conversation is flowing well and they just want to sit and talk to each other. Some people like games, some don’t. I like board games, but I don’t especially like card games.

What about a chocolate fondue, since Valentine's Day is so closely associated with chocolate, and almost everyone likes it?

About how many people are you anticipating? That would help in coming up with activities and contributions. If you have 10-12 people who would participate, maybe set up something similar to the "bunko" groups that are around. 2-3 card tables for both eating and playing.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I think a game might be fun if it’s a game where the entire group participates. It really depends on how big the group is.

Sometimes it is hard to corral the group to play a game when conversation is flowing well and they just want to sit and talk to each other. Some people like games, some don’t. I like board games, but I don’t especially like card games.
    I agree a game can be fun, but not a card or board game. We had a Taboo party last summer, which was fun.

I've never played this one but it looks fun:
    https://www.amazon.com/Never-Have-Ev...617011&sr=8-25

Or this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Adult-Loaded-...%2C168&sr=8-38
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Usually I have a gathering for a luncheon from 11am-2pmish. Some guests come just to say hi and some come to stay for lunch. I make stuff that I can later freeze in portions for myself.
    I have had up to 7 for the lunch and they all make an effort to chat and engage with each other. Few knew each other initially. I have a monthly coffee group at a local restaurant, sometimes up to 7 or just 2 come. I like the freedom of 'come if you can'. It is a quiet time at the restaurant on Mondays at 2pm so it has worked out well.

Because I am having trouble imagining any other way of doing a gathering of ladies is why I am reaching out for ideas. i am trying to also remember that some are on diet restrictions as well.

I don't know how many would come for a fun activity so need to be flexible in planning but I expect to invite 10-15. I have no idea of how the weather would impact any plans as well.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

We had a Taboo party last summer, which was fun.
    How is that played?

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    How is that played?
    This is a box game you would have to purchase.

You split the group up into two teams.

Team #1 picks from a card deck with a word on the top, and then a list of 4-5 words underneath. You have to try to get your teammates to guess the word WITHOUT using any of the "taboo" words underneath.

For instance, the word you want to get your teammates to guess might be "SCHOOL" The list of taboo words might be "teacher" "learn" "students" "textbooks" etc.

It's really fun.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    This is a box game you would have to purchase.

You split the group up into two teams.

Team #1 picks from a card deck with a word on the top, and then a list of 4-5 words underneath. You have to try to get your teammates to guess the word WITHOUT using any of the "taboo" words underneath.

For instance, the word you want to get your teammates to guess might be "SCHOOL" The list of taboo words might be "teacher" "learn" "students" "textbooks" etc.

It's really fun.
    I woild like that game.I like the words games.

Thread Information