Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oscar nominations

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    I never saw The Tale, never even heard of it, but I like Laura Dern. Really liked her in Enlightened.
    I loved that show, and loved her in that--thought she was brilliant!

For me, Laura Dern is always a bit too Laura Dernish in each role she plays. I do not get the Oscar love for her role in The Marriage Story, but whatever. She was ok tho. And I liked her well enough in The Tale mainly because she suited the role and it was the storyline I really liked.

Geila
    Yeah, Laura Dern has a certain quirkiness that might be a little annoying in certain roles. I think that same quirkiness is what made her so great in Enlightened. I was sad when the show ended.

I tried to watch The Marriage Story on Netflix and so far have not been able to get past the first half hour. I doubt that will change. However, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed The Two Popes. It was quite the visual production, and really just a nice story about two older men reflecting on life. So far it would be my pick for best film. It's interesting how many of the nominations could be streamed on Netflix right when they came out.

Well, we're working our way through the Oscar contenders, and are flummoxed. If these are the BEST movies of the year, I'm going to abandon movies for a while and dedicate myself to watching Love It Or List It on HGTV instead.

We saw 1917 las week: Disappointed
    We saw Once Upon A Time in Hollywood: Disappointed

Both suffered from the same thing: Story and character development were sacrificed in the name of style. The directing of 1917 from a technology standpoint was great, but it was long, laborious, nothing new. The concept behind OUATIH was cute and pandered to nostalgia, but was way too long. It was as if Quentin Tarantino fired his editor 3/4's into the project and never rehired another one.

Tonight we're seeing Joker. (We've rediscovered Redbox--we can't stream movies on Netflix in our rental home, so we go to Redbox and rent for $1.80. We're in heaven)

Does anyone else feel they've seen a REAL Oscar-worthy movie this year?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The Tale with Laura Dern but don't know if that was in theatres so would not qualify, right?

Oops-- IL said that movie was last year, anyway? But it was best movie I have seen in years.

I really really liked Bombshell and also thought Dark Waters was oscar worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I tried to watch The Marriage Story on Netflix and so far have not been able to get past the first half hour. I doubt that will change. However, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed The Two Popes. It was quite the visual production, and really just a nice story about two older men reflecting on life. So far it would be my pick for best film. It's interesting how many of the nominations could be streamed on Netflix right when they came out.
    Do you know who else doesn’t wanna watch The Marriage Story?? Adam Driver. He played the main character in that film,

He stomped off an interview with Terry Gross on Fresh Air because she played a clip and he didn’t want to watch it or hear it. The Internet tells us that Adam Driver does not like watching himself on film, it is a phobia.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    The Tale with Laura Dern but don't know if that was in theatres so would not qualify, right?

Oops-- IL said that movie was last year, anyway? But it was best movie I have seen in years.

I really really liked Bombshell and also thought Dark Waters was oscar worthy.
    it was based on a true story so the things that were most interesting to me were likely true. The weird relationship of the male running coach and the female riding instructor, and how they brought that little girl into it was just—- strange.

But the amazing thing to me was the courage of that little girl who, at the age of 12 or so, called her coach on the phone to say “we are done. I’m breaking up with you.”
    ( paraphrased.) She went against all of those adults who were complicit in hurting her as well as her parents who were clueless in protecting her. That is great courage.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Well, we're working our way through the Oscar contenders, and are flummoxed. If these are the BEST movies of the year, I'm going to abandon movies for a while and dedicate myself to watching Love It Or List It on HGTV instead.

We saw 1917 las week: Disappointed
    We saw Once Upon A Time in Hollywood: Disappointed

Both suffered from the same thing: Story and character development were sacrificed in the name of style. The directing of 1917 from a technology standpoint was great, but it was long, laborious, nothing new. The concept behind OUATIH was cute and pandered to nostalgia, but was way too long. It was as if Quentin Tarantino fired his editor 3/4's into the project and never rehired another one.

Tonight we're seeing Joker. (We've rediscovered Redbox--we can't stream movies on Netflix in our rental home, so we go to Redbox and rent for $1.80. We're in heaven)

Does anyone else feel they've seen a REAL Oscar-worthy movie this year?
    Little Women is Oscar worthy from beginning to end. It is familiar material treated with care and brains, with absolutely beautiful cinematography. Beautiful people play well known characters, but they are not Hollywood beautiful so are believable.

The Korean film Parasite is pretty damn interesting. it engaged my interest with its comedy, sympathetic characters, and horror of their situation. The novel location and sets in an expensive house added interest for me.

I am not going to see Once upon a time in Hollywood or 1917. The first one because I’ve sworn off Tarantino due to the excessive violence even though I know this one doesn’t contain that. Maybe if everyone didn’t report it as being so long I would go to it.

1917 is getting outstanding reviews but I can’t go to it because I just don’t do war films any more, too awful, can’t get the images out of my head.

Catherine it is interesting that you weren’t moved by 1917 because I haven’t heard anyone who didn’t like it. Granted I have not read a bunch of reviews, am just skimming headline reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Little Women is Oscar worthy from beginning to end. It is well known familiar material treated with care and brains, absolutely beautiful cinematography. Beautiful people play well known characters, but they are not Hollywood beautiful so are believable.

The Korean film Parasite is pretty damn interesting.

I am not going to see Once upon a time in Hollywood or 1917.
    My strategy is to see the ones that DH wants to see so when I want to see Little Women he'll honor the quid pro quo. (I don't care if he watches it, frankly, but I wanted to start our Oscar-watching with movies we both might like. Parasite might be one we would both enjoy.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information