Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Oscar nominations

Even though I bitch and moan about what Is offered up in movie theaters, I’m a crotchety old lady who limits herself to the point where I self select myself out of many films. I don’t watch:

1. Films based on cartoon characters...dull.

2. War films...horrific and depressing.

3. Star films, you know, Star Treks. Star Wars. Etc....dull

4. films that have entirely male casts. They are boring. See also #2.

I am becoming increasingly bored with films that are heavily biographical where the lead character is heavily made up and engages in mimicry to portray in a realistic way the main subject.

On the other hand I can watch:

costume dramas set in 1650-1900 until the cows come home.

Well written films about human relationships.

remakes of the above

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post

...I couldn't get through Marriage Story. ....If someone can tell me this has a heartwarming ending where people finally go their separate ways in peace ]maybe I'll come back for the second half, otherwise no thanks. ETA: I can see that the way the unraveling of civility and the escalation of rage was handled was very skillful. Perhaps it deserves to win for that. I just couldn't bear the things I was seeing....
    yes, they both achieve equanimity in their parenting relationship in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    On the other hand I can watch:

costume dramas set in 1650-1900 until the cows come home.

Well, Downton Abbey, the movie, falls outside that period by a couple of decades, but I saw the TV series and loved it, and I just recently saw the movie, and my feeling was that it was just like the last episode of MASH, or Friends, or any other long-running, beloved TV show.

No great drama or strong plot. It was just a vehicle to tie up all the loose knots, and pretty much assure fans that the Downton Abbey will remain in the archives and hearts of the watchers, but we shouldn't count on a revival any time soon.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yesterday I saw Jojo Rabbit, an Oscar nominated film. It was excellent. Scarlett Johansson is really a very special talent. She is stunningly beautiful and is a good actress. This is a very moving way to tell one of the sadly typical stories of the
    Nazi Regime.

Sam Rockwell was excellent. I was going to give a spoiler, but I won’t.

Thread Information