Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oscar nominations

I'm not sure about that whole "too long" thing, we saw 'Once Upon A Time In Hollywood' a few weeks ago and I enjoyed the story. I've never been a particular fan of Brad Pitt or that DiCaprio kid but thought they really embodied their characters. I liked it.

Saw 'The Irishman' yesterday and agree that it seems just like every other gangster movie Scorsese has ever done with pretty much the same cast. I did think Joe Pesci provided an extremely low key and nuanced performance but Pacino and DeNiro were just playing themselves in gawdawful makeup. Overall I wasn't impressed.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Well, see – this is what I love about television. It is a much better venue *now* for auteur productions. If a creative team wants to make a production that is 4 hours and 26 minutes long, they need to go to television. Limited series is the place to be for those who are good story makers.

Who is to say that every story can be told, and told well, in 90 minutes?
    You raise a good point. Maybe that's why Netflix resisted putting The Irishman on the big screen--maybe it would have been a better Netflix limited series.

Movie viewing has certainly evolved. I like nothing better than getting hooked on a series and being able to binge-watch or parse it out over time. And if you and your partner can agree on a compelling series, it's golden.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Geila
    I really liked Unbelievable on Netflix. Don't know if it's gotten any awards or buzz as I don't follow that, but I hope it does. I was hesitant to watch it for a long time as it seemed like a depressing film but I was pleasantly surprised by how well it was done. Really good acting and a nice change from typical crime stuff.

Once Upon A Time, I sat in a theater that serves wine and unlimited popcorn with seat-side service, and had a nice nostalgic buzz on for what, four hours? Lol. I thoroughly enjoyed myself but I don't know that it had much to do with the film. I wanted it to take forever because that's the mood I was in. Brad and Leo are enjoyable to watch, IMO.

I couldn't get through Marriage Story. It was fascinating, I started out thinking this is silly, why would they be so up in arms about a divorce, then I moved to outrage, this is still ridiculous, why can't they de-escalate this, and shifted finally to a shocked understanding of how much backstory and hatred there was. If someone can tell me this has a heartwarming ending where people finally go their separate ways in peace, maybe I'll come back for the second half, otherwise no thanks. ETA: I can see that the way the unraveling of civility and the escalation of rage was handled was very skillful. Perhaps it deserves to win for that. I just couldn't bear the things I was seeing.

Those are the only two on the list I've seen and nothing else is leaping out at me. DH liked Ford v. Ferrari and Joker. Overall I don't have a pick among these and to be honest nothing I saw last year was memorable enough to raise much outrage over its omission.

I'm glad Echo In The Canyon wasn't nominated. I thought I loved the music of that era, but the songs chosen didn't resonate with me and I was bored to tears with the endless blather of people who think way too much of themselves. Definitely an "insiders only" movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    I really liked Unbelievable on Netflix. Don't know if it's gotten any awards or buzz as I don't follow that, but I hope it does. I was hesitant to watch it for a long time as it seemed like a depressing film but I was pleasantly surprised by how well it was done. Really good acting and a nice change from typical crime stuff.
    It got at least 3 Golden Globe Nominations for performances, the three female leads. I thought it was ok but not outstanding.

I thought last year’s The Tale was more interesting. I compare the two because they are sexual abuse stories told on tv.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It got at least 3 Golden Globe Nominations for performances, the three female leads. I thought it was ok but not outstanding.

I thought last year’s The Tale was more interesting. I compare the two because they are sexual abuse stories told on tv.
    I never saw The Tale, never even heard of it, but I like Laura Dern. Really liked her in Enlightened.

Geila
    Ok, I just saw a mention of Dolemite Is My Name and I remembered how much I liked that one. I'm an Eddie Murphy fan.

I guess I'm the contrarian here, but I thought the acting, filming, and period settings in The Irishman were outstanding. The story line was nothing special, but it was noteworthy in other respects. Since it came out initially for Netflix streaming I watched it in two sessions, so the length didn't bother me. I could not even finish Dolemite Is My Name even though I'm an Eddie Murphy fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I guess I'm the contrarian here, but I thought the acting, filming, and period settings in The Irishman were outstanding. The story line was nothing special, but it was noteworthy in other respects. Since it came out initially for Netflix streaming I watched it in two sessions, so the length didn't bother me. I could not even finish Dolemite Is My Name even though I'm an Eddie Murphy fan.
    I sorta enjoyed Dolemite but admit to fast forwarding thru to the end.

I may watch the Oscar-nominated Missing Link, produced by Laika animation out of Hillsboro, OR.

Thread Information