Thread: Pesky Realtors

Pesky Realtors

This might be more of a rant than a question, but it anyone's got some snappy comebacks, I'd love to hear them.

I have a piece of property (raw land) I'm going to be selling FSBO. It's just land and I've never had a need for a realtor, even when selling homes I prefer not to use them. I made the apparent mistake of listing this on Zillow on a whim, I didn't really put any thought into the listing or pix because I wasn't serious, just testing the water, and now I'm getting 10 calls a day. Unfortunately they're all cold calls from realtors.

"Hi, I'm calling about your listing on Calle Habanero, is it still for sale?" Yes. "Oh, good. Well let me ask you a couple of questions ..." Assuming this is an interested buyer, I give them some details, only to hear, 'Well I would like to list this at $x, blah blah blah."

Now if I wanted to use a realtor, I could throw a stone and hit one - in other words, I'd already have a realtor. And the market here is finally really taking off. WHY on earth would I list with a total stranger? After stealing half an hour a day of my life, these people act like they're offering a service I've never heard of, like maybe I'm FSBO because I think that's the only way to sell real estate. I sort of feel sorry for these people but I also can't believe they're even bothering ... and they are bothering, in both meanings.

can you change your voice mail greeting to say "Hello, this is kib. If you are anyone other than a licensed realtor please leave a message. If you are a licensed realtor, F off. If you leave me a message I'll track you down on Yelp and leave a 1 star rating."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Kind of an unrelated question, but why are you selling the land? I ask because I have been thinking of buying some land out here in case we leave the area and I need a long-term bolthole. I just like this area so much.

Catherine, Lol, thank you. I guess I'm just greedy, I don't want to alienate an actual buyer.

Tybee, I bought this land impulsively, because I had the idea we could go 'back to the land' and still be in the center of a relatively large city. Reality intruded: a. there's no way I'm building a house from scratch with my husband, we can't even agree on a movie to watch. b. this particular piece of land is located in a place with lovely, one of a kind site built homes, and even though it's in the middle of the city it's rather inaccessible and not ideal for building, which all translates into a much more expensive process than I first envisioned. It would be a whole-life choice, made with someone who has a very different idea of what that whole-life should be like.

The idea of owning land, per se, appeals to me very much, but I could find something on the outskirts of town that would serve a bolt-hole purpose for about 25% of the value of this piece - and I am not in love with this area, so if I ever did buy a getaway plot, I can think of a hundred places I'd rather live. This needs to go to someone else.

Let the calls go to voicemail. If it’s a buyer you can call them back.

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    Catherine, Lol, thank you. I guess I'm just greedy, I don't want to alienate an actual buyer.

Tybee, I bought this land impulsively, because I had the idea we could go 'back to the land' and still be in the center of a relatively large city. Reality intruded: a. there's no way I'm building a house from scratch with my husband, we can't even agree on a movie to watch. b. this particular piece of land is located in a place with lovely, one of a kind site built homes, and even though it's in the middle of the city it's rather inaccessible and not ideal for building, which all translates into a much more expensive process than I first envisioned. It would be a whole-life choice, made with someone who has a very different idea of what that whole-life should be like.

The idea of owning land, per se, appeals to me very much, but I could find something on the outskirts of town that would serve a bolt-hole purpose for about 25% of the value of this piece - and I am not in love with this area, so if I ever did buy a getaway plot, I can think of a hundred places I'd rather live. This needs to go to someone else.
    That makes so much sense. I am stopped in buying some of these lots for sale by exactly the same thought--boltholes don't require 2500 sq foot new construction homes, for example, with HOA requirements.

But I still have this yearning-- you know Lily Langtry survived because she had bought a lot of land in the American West.

Why I identify with Lily Langtry, I don't know.

Tybee, wow, that was worth the diversion! https://clickamericana.com/topics/celebrities-famous-people/lillie-langtry-the-scandalous-jersey-lily-1958

In a more prosaic life, I think what could work for me is a "bug-out" mostly self sufficient RV and a plot of land farther north. Be a Lily White snowbird, or go to ground if I had to.

Sounds like a property that a smart realtor would buy and develop.

You wanted a smart comeback - what about, "It is for sale, bring me your offer of purchase with a deposit of $xxxx."
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Sneaky realtors are lurking on zillow, reddit, next-door, craigslist, meet up investment groups and other forums - just waiting to pounce on FSBO listings.

Thread Information