Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job interview advice

Job interview advice

I have a phone interview tomorrow morning. Had a job for several years then laid off in November. In interviews I get nervous then start to ramble. This job looks really exciting and the company really emphasizes work/life balance

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on what to say. I really get turned around by questions like "Why do you want to work here?" or "Tell me about yourself". I'm working with the employment office but my coach hasn't returned my calls or emails.

I researched the company and I have questions written down. I'll do my best to turn on the charm, and hope for the best.

Any interview suggestions will help.

Thanks everyone

Rehearse your answers to common phone interview questions ahead of time. There are webpages on line that list most commonly asked interview questions and how to answer them, you could practice with them. But might this sound wooden and rehearsed? It might . But I figure better than flying blind, especially if you tend to ramble. Some say trying to smile over the phone helps, maybe it does. Make sure you have a good phone connection obviously.
    Trees don't grow on money

Stand up on the phone interview, even though they can't see you. It will really make a difference in how your voice comes across.

Think of, and write down a few stories from your past that demonstrate how you learned from a mistake, how you got along with others, and maybe how you went above and beyond.

Find a couple different friends, and do practice interviews to get comfortable with the situation.

All of this advice is good. If it's a phone (not Facetime/Skype/etc.) interview, you can even prepare some of your own answers to anticipated questions and refer to what you've written if/when the questions come up.

Another option is to have a friend there with you during the interview; one who can give you "the look" if you start to ramble.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Good advice from everyone! My former employer did behavioral interviewing, and we wanted specific examples of how candidates handled various scenarios. A few good anecdotes of your most shining moments can often be tweaked to answer different questions. Try to think of something you accomplished that really excited you. Let that enthusiasm come through to the interviewer; that can definitely score you some points.
    Good luck!

Yppej
    When I was unemployed I attended an interview practice group which was free. See if there is one in your area.

klunick
    I have never had a phone interview before but would have probably aced one because I am so awkward in person with strangers. It was a good thing I did temp work first so they could see I was a great worker and just really shy in new situations.

Practicing interviewing with friends really helps you get prepared.

I’ve been conducting a lot of interviews the last 2 1/2 years in my role as manager. I like it when our candidates just talk naturally with us about their work experience. We’re looking for emotional intelligence, flexibility and positive attitudes in difficult situations, and social graces, as much as we are for the facts of a persons history.

Thread Information