Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E-edition newspapers

I feel your pain KayLR. I'm such a creature of habit that I can't drink my coffee without the paper and I can't read my paper (when it is delivered late for some reason) without coffee. The two go hand in hand and DH and I split it and then swap telling each other what articles to pay close attention to. My dad in the early stages of dementia always knew what day it was by getting the paper and seeing it. When we went down to four days he was still walking to the paper box every morning because he couldn't remember which days were delivery days. He always started the fires in the woodstoves with the paper from the day before. It is such a part of daily life.

Had a print subscription of the Post until it kept disappearing from the front door so I switched to a digital subscription. I pay for the Post and get email headlines/breaking news from another nationally known newspaper. I use the 5 articles a month for the birth city newspaper to keep up on the local sports teams. Only time I read a print newspaper is when I visit my parents.

I wouldn't read an e-print newspaper via subscription--dislike reading on the screen, so personally, I would keep my paper subscription if I had one.

Such a luxury.

Plus we make planter pots out of newspaper, so there is that.

DW likes to spread out with the paper on weekends, so we still subscribe to weekend home delivery. That also gives us unlimited digital access, which is good because I much prefer to read on a screen instead of paper. (I also find that I find less I need to buy because I no longer see all the inserts/ads). There is an e-edition but while subscribing to the weekend editions buys us what both of us want, we won't bother with it.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I do 99% of my reading on line.

I read online also. I do miss the physical opening up of the paper, and I really believe that I read more and longer when I have a paper newspaper in my hands. I'm more likely to read random things in all the sections as opposed to front page headlines. So that's a loss. I also miss doing the daily NYT crossword puzzle.

But I don't want to pay for a daily paper, and I don't want to deal with the recycling.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

There are books available: The New York Times Monday Through Friday Easy to Tough Crossword Puzzles, The New York Times Hardest Crosswords Volume 2: 50 Friday and Saturday Puzzles to Challenge Your Brain. I should get back to cryptic crosswords, and crosswords in general.

I dislike the e-newspapers that are just a digital version of the paper. I much prefer a good app. The New York Times had an excellent one when I subscribed in the past. The Chicago Tribune’s app is awful. Even with a digital subscription, reading on the Trib’s website was horrid, full of intrusive ads.

I get my news mostly from the BBC website for international news or the local all-news AM radio station.

I like Reuters and Al-Jazeera, among others.

Every time our daily subscription comes up for renewal which is every few months, DH sincerely debates going on with it. The essential problem with us is that we don’t get reliable delivery. Probably one out of six delivery days are either late or nonexistent.

I stopped reading the newspaper years ago around retirement. The local newspaper is important for local news. It is not important for opinion or for national news.The political slant of the local paper is ridiculous, but that is probably a tertiary reason for dropping it.

I am on their digital site several times a week for the film discussion forum which they do not charge for. I know that their site is slow to load and clunky. I warn DH “You wont like the digital version it’s shitty.”

Tiny Hermann Missouri has a weekly newspaper that we subscribe to. We love it. We’ve been in it a couple times already with photo spread, so it’s one of those small town newspapers where everybody is featured sooner or later. One of the most remarkable things about that newspaper is there is one main writer, and the number of column inches he produces is absolutely astonishing. I can’t even estimate how much he produces but it is 8 to 20 pages each week. And he writes most of it. Also, as small town newspaper, you can write your own article and submit it which is what one of the leading citizens of the town did when she wrote an article about our mural.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-18-20 at 3:57pm.

Thread Information